Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buds coming... What to do??

Posted by joycekh 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 16, 12 at 12:47

Last fall, after covering with lots of mulch, there were stems left sticking out from last year's wood. My hydrangeas have always bloomed on new growth from the bottom. What should I do about about these budding sticks?? If I leave them, and a good frost does not get them, will they bloom, and will the new growth still come up and bloom. It is way to early to be making these decisions..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buds coming... What to do??

Yes, it is way too early. But I know how you feel. The ones up here started leafing out almost 4 weeks ago. If a frost gets them, it may impact the bloomage but will not kill the shrub. It is hard to tell how all this will play out.

When the stems dry out, that triggers new growth from the bottom. But when you have the possibility of little damage to the stems then you could have some growth from the bottom, hardly any or none at all. Hardly any or none at all is what usually happens to me. I am guessing you may have a mix this year and I may have a lot. The old wood will produce bloomage and the new wood may or may not, depending on the variety.

Ironic, it looks like I may be the one with lots of bottom growth and I may be the person pruning some/lots of dead wood this year. Ha!

o

The NOAA just released a 90-day forecast that basically says: "if you're experiencing mild weather, don't worry because it's here to stay". That said, they also said that this summer would be predominantly dry. So although your growth is taking off now, it may stall out later with water deficits. But as for bud-kill, I'd say it's an afterthought at this point. Years like this will yield leaps in shrub growth and numerous/large blooms for many people.

Depending on where you are, you may still get frosts, but for 75%+ of this country I'd say no.

Here is a link that might be useful: CNN Article

o

Well it was a nice 60 degrees here for the last week and a 1/2 and this morning it went down to the 30s and its suppose to go down into the 20s tonight :(

I will probably just throw some blankets over them and hope for the best.

o

^^^^ That's exactly why I'm not uncovering yet.

o

If there is a chance of frost, will laying a piece of burlap over the bush protect it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here