Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msalcido_gw

New Hydrangeas

msalcido
13 years ago

Hi all,

Spring is finally here! and of course hydrangea fever in the air. I've ordered a total of 7 new hydrangeas. They all should arrive next week. I went to Lowes today not even thinking about Hydrangeas and of course they had a whole row of Merritt Supreme. Did I buy any? Of course - had to get three of them! Here they are. Question - did I plant too close to the house?

Comments (11)

• bgtimber75
    13 years ago

Still probably a couple of weeks away for me to check the local Lowes. Have no more room but I'm sure they'll be something new that I'll just have to get.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

Your plants look quite nice, although a little close to the house for my taste. Learning the eventual size of a plant and getting it sited appropriately may have been the slowest gardening lesson I've learned - and I still don't always get it right. Too many plants to try, not enough space :)

One thing concerns me - they are blooming. MS is one of the earlier blooming varieties, but not this early and I suspect forced. Be prepared to cover at night if your temperatures are predicted to fall low over the next few weeks, these have likely been grown under greenhouse conditions and may not be fully hardy until they've experienced a period of real outdoor life.

• msalcido
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@morz8 - thanks and I was wondering about being too close to the house. This is the first time I've put any near the house. What is "norm" for planting Hydrangeas close to the house? Also, your concern crossed my mind as well, I thought it was way too earlier for them to be blooming. I wondered about them being forced. I didn't think the garden centers carried forced plants?? I guess time will tell.

@bgtimber - I'm sure they will. I have a second home in which needs a ton of new plants so I'm always on the look out!

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

Merritt's Supreme is supposed to reach a smaller size than some, approx 4x4'. You should leave at least half the estimated width of the plant at maturity when planting (so 2' in this case), and consider that shrubs against the house can make great 'ladders' for bugs, critters, add more for that.
    I don't know what is above your brick, but if there is window, siding that could ever need paint or maintenance - now is the time to consider what kind of access you will have to the main part of your investment (the house) and save yourself the headaches of ever finding your plantings are in the way and must be moved or be damaged.

• msalcido
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK so right now they are about 1/2 foot away from the house, so I'll move them to have the 2' spread. Wow there is so much things to consider! There is a window right about them, so I never even gave thought to the 'ladders'.

Thanks for the great info!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

You don't indicate the aspect of this planting area, but it looks very bright to me. I might be concerned about reflected heat from the brick surface creating an issue in your summers if this is anything other than an east or north facing wall.

The big box, mass marketers and/or home improvement stores - it's a bit too generous to call these "garden centers" - often carry forced or greenhouse grown plants. My local HD was filled with blooming azaleas and hydrangeas for Valentine's Day and I'd expect them to be gearing up for Easter with another round. I agree with Morz8 -- watch your temps closely. These are not yet accustomed to life outdoors and could respond to even medium cool temps by wilting or sulking.

• msalcido
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks gardengal! It is an east facing wall, plus there are trees that haven't bloomed yet so they should be well shaded during the hot afternoons. I'll continue to monitor it throughout the summer.

I'm a bit disappointed knowing this are forced plants. I had no idea they sold them at the big box stores! Lesson learned. Hopefully they will do well.

Thanks again.

• ivysmom
    13 years ago

I kinda figured out anything big and showy that is "show off ready" before the stuff in the ground at my own place is probably forced. That said, I picked up a couple big-bloomed non-patentened pink hydrangeas and left them in their pots outside a couple weeks ago... misting them daily. They haven't wilted yet or shown distress, so maybe they'll survive a transplant. If not, then it's a small early taste of what'll come in a more "natural" schedule for my planted plants :)

• msalcido
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good point Ivysmom - never thought of it that way. Well this are planted and hopefully will do well. I watered really good and it rained yesterday and today. Temps are still in the 60's - 70's for the day and about upper 40's-50's at night.

How are the masjas?

• ivysmom
    13 years ago

All but one made it through the winter. They are a little spindly and a bit top-heavy with old leaves because they are still in pots and were indoors under grow lights this winter. They've been outside for about 3 weeks now, and new growth is showing up, so that's good. No idea if they will bloom at all this year (I'm assuming not). So far so good, I guess :) How about yours?

• msalcido
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I only have one Masja, the one I bought on ebay. I've had it in the garage since about mid December and it's doing great. It already has new leaves on it. I'm really happy that all of the ones I put in the garage are budding out. I'm about to plant two of them in ground tomorrow.

I love this time of year!