Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
All they will be blue?

Posted by snowling888 MA Zone6 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 20, 09 at 13:49

Last year, I planted a pink, a red and a blue hydrangea on the front flower bed. They all demaged by late frost and they were very small (cheap mail-order), so no flower last summer. As I've learned more about hydrangea, no matter what the manufacturer said, the color of the hydragea is mainly affected by the soil. I live in New England, the soil is acidic, are all those hydrangea will be blue if I don't add lime to the soil? I forgot label the hydrageas, so it's no way to know which is which if they all come out to be blue? I want to have a cold color theme in the same bed for summer, and I want to move the pink and red hydrangea to other locations. Will the pink and the red be a slightly different color as the blue one even they are in the same bed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: All they will be blue?

The soil in which your hydrangeas were planted caused the pink and blue blooms. Some places use planting soil that is acidic so you get blue blooms but others use near neutral soils so you get pink blooms.

The colored hydrangea shrubs react slightly different based on the variety. Subtle changes in the soil can even cause different bloom colors within the same shrub. The change in color is progressive and depends on the amount of acidity and other soil components. But yes, if you add lime, they will slowly turn a shade of pink. They could also turn purple as this is the color in between pink and blue.

Phosphate is also used to force colored hydrangeas to bloom pink. Be careful not to use (a lot of) triple super phosphate as too much of this amendment can burn roots and can be toxic.

Do not fertilize with aluminum phosphate since aluminum is a chemical needed to create blue blooms so if you want all pinks in the flower bed, you would not want to fertilize with this amendment. It is also toxic (in large quantities) to azaleas and rhodies.

A limited number of pink hydrangeas will not change color (pink to blue).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here