Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zioviche

Please help with my snow damaged hydrangeas

viche
14 years ago

I posted this to an old thread that I had started in 06 (http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hydra/msg0716071227975.html), but that thread didn't seen to jump to the top of the forum, so here it is again:

This year the snow really hurt some of my hydrangea branches (mophead macrophyllas, probably Nikko Blue that bloom around the end of June). I just checked and I have buds that are starting to leaf out nicely, but some of this leafing old wood is broken (really cracked and bent) at the base from the weight of snow.

I'm assuming I should just cut that old wood off at the base near where it is cracked/leaning instead of trying to repair/stilt it somehow?

If I cut back enough wood to the ground, will the bush realize that it needs to grow new branches from the ground to make up for the ones I removed?

Finally, what do you do about old wood that has no buds? Should I just cut that branch back to the ground, or might a dead looking, but bud-free branch regain buds next year. I'm assuming if it has absolutley no buds this year, then it's spent, and needs to be removed, but please let me know if I am wrong.

Thanks guys and gals!

Comments (4)

• luis_pr
    14 years ago

Broken stems can serve as entry points for fungi and other pests so, depending on the severity of the injury, I would cut them off. Eventually, the plant will replace the stem with a new one but since human-to-hydrangea communications do not work well :o) you may have to wait until the plant decides to grow a new stem. It may regrow the stem quickly or you may have to wait until another growing season.

A single old wood stem that has no buds but has leafed out may have had a rough winter or lacked sufficient moisture to support the flower buds. I would not remove it just because it produced no blooms on a given year. So no, it would not necessarily be spent and does not have to be removed.

Old shrubs do have to be pruned when flower production is smaller than normal for several years running and nothing else can account for the problem (moisture, weather, lack of fertilizer). This happens after many/several years (it varies but think 'more than 5-7 years' for example). But when this happens, you would notice it on the whole shrub and not with a single stem.

Luis

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

Hydrangeas are considered 'caning' shrubs and they do produce new stem growth from the root crown. That's one of the supposed big advantages of selections like Endless Summer - even if they die back to the ground with winter cold, they will resprout from the base. It is also the concept behind rejuvenating old or very overgrown hydrangeas - removing upto 1/3 of the oldest canes each year at the base encourages the development of fresh, vigorous basal shoots.

Older growth can indeed be 'spent' or fail to bud, whether due to old age or to cold damage - this is called dead wood. If there are no signs of budding (what you see now are only leaf buds) along these stems and the wood looks gray and dull, these can and should be removed back as far as you can. You can always check to see if the stem is still viable by scraping the bark. If it shows signs of moist, green tissue under the bark, it is still alive. If it looks dry and woody, it is dead and should be pruned out.

When in doubt, the pruning of bigleaf hydrangeas can always be limited to the three D's - damaged, dead or diseased wood.

• mehearty
    14 years ago

Posted by luis_pr z7/8 FW TX (My Page) on Sun, Mar 28, 10 at 6:14

human-to-hydrangea communications do not work well :o)

----------

Truer words have never been spoken. =)

• viche
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay.....to prune I go!

Thanks people.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm