Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blondegardener

Getting hydrangeas to grow

blondegardener
13 years ago

First post. :) I'm obsessed with hydrangeas and have 6 planted around our house. 4 were purchased last summer and 2 the summer before; all were $3-5 and plants I saved from Home Depot. (some were starting to die, dried leaves, etc.) I believe they were all Endless Summer but not 100% sure. Last year I pruned at the wrong time and cut them back a few inches on some of the stems. (had no idea what to do with them until this year) Even with that, I'm finding that they're not growing as fast as I'd hope they would for 2nd year plants.

Any suggestions on how to stimulate growth? I've been slowly adding in good dirt we ordered (compost/shale/sand mix) and plan to eventually move them to the front of our house. I can't do that though until they grow higher than the bushes they will be planted behind. Right now, I have them in a sunnier spot than they'll be once moved but both locations are morning sun with lots of water. One is already budding but it's a much smaller plant than I'd like.

Thoughts? Also, will it be possible to get them to grow behind the bushes in the front yard picture? (the giant box hollies are going away and are being replaced with a Camellia and Gardenia)

Hydrangea budding

Hydrangea bed

{{gwi:995753}}

Front of house- hollies are outta there in the next few weeks. Keep in mind this was taken almost a month ago so the grass looks terrible and the flowers aren't established yet! :)

{{gwi:995754}}

Thank you!

-Frances-

Comments (6)

• luis_pr
    13 years ago

What happened to the pictures, Frances?

Hydrangeas do not respond to fertilizers like roses do. They will be happy with some composted manure, cottonseed meal twice a year in the lower half of the country (May and July) and once a year in the upper half (June). The best you can do for them is make sure they get protection from the hot summer afternoon sun, make sure they get constant soil moisture during the whole year; have 3-4" of mulch at all times; are placed in an area where the soil drains well and is acidic.

So sometimes they grow quickly and sometimes it takes 2-3 years. But adding lots and lots of fertilizer does not make them jump higher fast.

• blondegardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry! I added the pics to a different photobucket album and as a result, the link was broken. Pictures are below. Thanks for the info Luis! We haven't fertilized at all and are using a compost mix so I'll continue that and see what happens. I have read a bit about cottonseed meal so I'll probably try that too. They just seem so much smaller now than they were when I first purchased.

Appreciate the feedback!

Hydrangea Bed

Budding Hydrangea

Future spot for them, behind the smaller bushes in the front

• luis_pr
    13 years ago

It is hard to gauge depth on bottom photo. The hydrangeas may be cramped in that front location (behind the yellow shrubs).

ES can grow from 3 to 5 feet high & wide so measure between 1.5-2.5' from a hydrangea's base (in all directions) to give you an estimate of the width. Of course, if these varieties turn out to be something other than ES then it is difficult to tell if they will fit.

• ivysmom
    13 years ago

I had a question about one of those, actually... that close up shot shows a couple of woody stems with no leaves. I have a couple plants which went in the ground last year that have stems like that... will they eventually get leaves (this year)? Just wondering if they should be "dealt with" or left alone.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

They may or they may not :-) If, by the time the rest of the plant has budded and leafed out, these stems are still bare wood, then it is most likely dead wood and can be pruned out. You can also tell by breaking off a portion of these stems.....if they are brittle and dry and show no sign of green inside, then they are dead. Dead wood appearing after winter is pretty common for any hydrangea. Not all stems will remain healthy and viable after winter and the colder the winter (and without protection), the more likely dead wood is to occur. It can (and should) be removed any time.

• pearlgirl
    13 years ago

I'm obsesssed with hydrangeas also. I have a mixture and
    I'm crazy about Limelight. As Luis said... I always give
    mine compost and mulch. (he gives wonderful advice!) Your
    plants really healthy....be patient.

Margaret

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations