Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I need to prune my tree tardiva?

Posted by joycewwct 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 7, 09 at 15:37

When I bought it two and a half years ago they told me to prune it late fall to early spring. I cut back quite a bit at the end of winter the last two years. It is about 5 feet tall and is an attractive vase shape above the trunk. I am just not sure why I am pruning and what I am trying to accomplish. If the branches start getting long and droopy I would need to prune and the pruned branches did grow quite a bit. Do I need to prune preventively every year or can I wait and see how it grows?

I love this plant but I bought it because it's bloom in fall turned a lovely apricot the year I bought it. The last two falls it has turned white to pink and then pretty much to brown. Is there any way I can get it to turn apricot again?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I need to prune my tree tardiva?

Tardiva is a naturaly upright cultivar. Therefore if you stop pruning it for several years you'll see a 10' tall vase-shape tree with a short trunk. If this would be a look you are trying to achieve then stop pruning it for a couple of years and then come back to it later. The only drawback in such approach would be that after a few years of uncontrolled growth you might have to deal with what is already there instead of training it into shape every year and remove unwanted growth as it goes.
My prefered method of pruning paniculata-tree is to leave just 1-2-3 sets of buds on a previous year growth. Then it will grow more or less simmetricaly and dense.
Photobucket

o

Thanks ego45. Your tree looks a lot like mine. I would not mind ten feet tall, but if it is all top with the same short trunk it would not be as attractive. So as soon as my newly thawed ground dries out a bit I will prune it.

Do you think the trunk will get taller or would that require removing branches entirely?

o

The trunk won't get taller. Woody plants grow from the top UP.

o

I also prune my tardiva just to make it more dense - this is especially important at the beginning, so the shrub do not get naked on the bottom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ewa in the Garden

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here