Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tedster_gw

Hacked up creeping hydrangea

Tedster
12 years ago

So when Hurricane Irene blew through here last fall, it knocked down a huge section of fence in my back yard. Unfortunately, the fence took down a huge creeping hydrangea along with it. It was my favorite feature of the back yard, and was well established and mature when we moved in to this house a couple years ago. Between the neighbors' "help" with picking up the fence (when I caught her hacking at the top of the plant with an axe to disentangle it from the fence), and the fence contractors when they replaced everything in January, the poor plant was hacked down to half its original height. Now it has a few thick branches from the trunk, but there are new branches sprouting out all over the place so it looks like it survived the hurricane and the mild winter.

My question is - how do I take care of it now? The fence is solid with a lattice top, so it is a couple feet too short to reach the lattice and grab onto the fence. How do I train it to climb the fence and spread across the top, the way it used to? Do I need to do anything special to ensure it is healthy and grows the right direction? I haven't done anything with this plant other than just watering it since we moved in.

Comments (2)