Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to plant Hydrangea Macrophylla from florist outside

Posted by charmed 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 23, 09 at 16:22

Hello all. I received some beautiful hydrangeas for my birthday recently, and I'm wondering how and when I can plant them in my garden. I'm pretty sure they are macrophylla as they look just like the one I already have in my garden which is definitely macrophylla. At least, I'm fairly certain it is! I'm just not sure what to do with them because they're already blooming and of course my outdoors one just has a few little buds so far. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to plant Hydrangea Macrophylla from florist outside

You can plant it outside after 1-2 weeks after your avge last date of frost. If the plant withstands the cold in your zone, you should be ok. Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure is if the plant came with some sort of plant label. If it cannot withstand winters in your zone, you might notice a lack of blooms next year. They need afternoon shade in the South & acidic soil that is moist (not wet) and well draining. You can acidify with amendments if necessary and apply manure or cottonseed meal in June as a fertilizer (not on the first year as it probably already has fert pellets in the pot). Stop all forms of fertilizers in July and maintain the soil moist during dry winters (for a new shrub, you can reduce watering to once every two weeks during winter).

o

Thanks Luis. Since my plant didn't come with a label, I'll plant it in another few weeks and keep my fingers crossed!

o

Just be aware that many times florist hydrangeas are dwarf often the variety "Pia". When I first started gardening, I planted a bunch of these and thought I was doing something wrong because they never got past 2 feet! A florist friend clued me in! I just moved them to the front of my border.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here