Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pee Wee Hydrangeas Behaving Badly

Posted by prairiegirlz5 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 11, 10 at 17:15

I planted three 'Pee Wee' hydrangeas next to a north-facing fence. They bloomed nicely and thrived with all the rain we got last year. They didn't drop all of their leaves this past winter, the old leaves are still hanging on. Is that normal behavior for these shrubs? Are they easily transplanted? I want to move them further along the fence-line, in a less prominent spot; these constitute the background of my winter composition.

Also, I may as well ask while I'm here. Does anyone here grow H. serrata 'Blue Billow' in zone 5? Do they bloom well? Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pee Wee Hydrangeas Behaving Badly

While it's not entirely common with paniculatas (it is with oakleafs), holding old foliage through winter can happen, especially in a location that is out of the wind or otherwise sheltered. No big deal :-) The old leaves will fall off when the new leaves emerge. Plants that have not been in the ground very long - a season or two - are very easily transplanted. Best to do so while they are still pretty much dormant. I'd plan on as soon as your soil is workable.

I'll leave someone in a colder zone to address the 'Blue Billows' question :-)

o

Thanks gardengal, I forgot to mention, 'Pee Wee' is a dwarf oakleaf. I am relieved to find this is not uncommon. :0)

o

LOL!! I read that to be 'Pee Gee', not 'Pee Wee'! Think I needed more coffee when I read/answered that :-) In that case, it is entirely normal and very typical of all oakleaf hydrangeas. My 'Little Honey' is still holding all her old foliage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here