Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
close to house

Posted by tulips101 none (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 17:16

I was driving past this house by a friend of mines house.And i saw the have a oakleaf hydrangea i dont know what kind but i do know it is full grown and it is planted only about a foot from the foundation does that mean i can plant my panticulatas and annabells close to the house as long as i keep them prunned so they dont rub on the siding.I have a small side yard in the middle of 2 small flower beds only about 6 feet of grass so that way i can have more shrubs and plants its on the west side of the house.
I would really like to plant some hydrangeasalong the house foundation its only about 30 feet where i can plant i have air conditioning and my drip irrigation comming out of the rest of area.
I sure could use some help i know a little about plannting and such but not much about hydrangeas sure could use some advice Thank You

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: close to house

Because the foundation cement can leech lime into the soil and make the soil alkaline, it would be best to plant the shrub a few feet away from the house. If the house foundation is old, it may no longer leech lots of lime so then it would not matter if you planted it close (provided you still regularly amended the soil some).

I placed some camellias about 2 ft from the house and the prev owner had some hydrangeas closer to the foundation. The hydrangeas require that I amend the soil in the Spring and (only sometimes) again in mid-summer. The camellias have not had any issues. An Annabelle that I planted about 1 ft away from the foundation has not complained; I amend its soil only once a year but it is relativel;y speaking new shrub.

The thing with the paniculatas is that they can get huge depending on the variety so they may generate more roots towards the foundation and may require that you amend the soil once or twice. It obviously would help if your soil was already acidic as hydrangeas will tolerate alkalinity up to a point without showing too many issues. Meaning that the leaves, for example, may not be dark green but "almost" dark green and may not show the leaf veins darker than the rest of the leaf (a common iron chlorosis symptom).

Luis

This post was edited by luis_pr on Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 10:51

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here