Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unknown Hydrangea, how much sun/shade?

Posted by rjinga middle ga, zone 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 13, 09 at 17:26

I am considering putting these 4 plants in a north facing bed that runs the length of one half my house, it's a relatively shaded area (pergola overhead) and it is shaded from the house at certain times of the day.

How much of one or the other is desirable...I hope that there is a "norm" even without knowing what variety I have.

Thanks for any input

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unknown Hydrangea, how much sun/shade?

Hard to say without knowing exactly what you have but most hydrangeas will tolerate part shade or even require it in your neck of the woods. Especially if it's one of the macrophyllas - the type most often sold at large garden centers. When does it get out of the house's shadow? Late afternoon? If the area gets a good amount of indirect light ("bright shade") chances are they will do very well there.

o

• Posted by rjinga middle ga, zone 8 (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 14, 09 at 11:47

It will definitely get bright filtered shade (due to the pergola overhead), I had some peace lillies there in large pots, that did OK, not great, it was still a bit too hot outside for them. But they lived there quite a while anyway.

I also have some ferns there (inground) that come back every year and some hosta, also happy there. I was thinking maybe to give them a trial run, I'd leave them in containers and see how the summer goes, and plant them if it all looks good.

Another consideration is to oover a small section of the pergola that is near the roof line and that would create a foot or two of direct shelter, and even so, they would still get a good deal of filtered sunlight. I have NO large trees on our property...so it's hard to find true shade ;)

o

In Georgia they will want protection from the hot afternoon sun. Any sun in the morning - even full sun - should be fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here