Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hydrangeas in morning sun

Posted by containerlover8b FL (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 19, 11 at 17:50

I absolutely love hydrangeas but have very little shade at my house. I think my best bet would be right against the house, facing east. The bed gets full morning sun and full afternoon shade. Any ideas for which varieties might do best in that much sun? Is it hopeless?

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hydrangeas in morning sun

Just about any macrophylla will be happy under those morning sun/afternoon shade sunlight conditions. Try with any one shrub to start to experiment. Then add more in latter years. Over here, summer sun is the problem and the hydrangeas need shade starting between 11am-12pm ish. Check the plant size to make sure it will do well in the bed. Do not put them too close to the walls as that area sometimes tends to be alkaline due to leech from the cement. Maybe plant them 2 ft away or so?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here