Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hokierustywilliamsbu

leafing out

Here in Tidewater Va. My hydrangeas are making bud break-too early I fear....

Comments (6)

• luis_pr
    11 years ago

Oh, yeah. Mine started leafing out in mid-February and luckily, we have gotten down to 32/33 but not any less. I assume that will be it for us this year. I even had another bush blooming starting in mid January so I thought it was going to be a gonner when the temps tanked but they never did.

Check the 10 day forecast now and then to get a heads up of any late cold spells. Good luck!

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    Original Author
    11 years ago

supposed to get to 25 tonight-guess the hydrangeas are toast for this year as all in bud break....

• luis_pr
    11 years ago

I hope you tried covering them up but with a low of 25, yeah, it may have a negative impact to say the least. I hope temps will bounce back quickly; sometimes that minimizes the damage some.

Gosh, I have had the opposite problem. Temps go up and down so much that camellias got confused in Dec/Jan and delayed blooming until mid-Feb to March. I just took a new opened bloom to my mother yesterday.

Hydrangeas started leafing out earlier this month; still have little tender leaves. Temps have not gone down below freezing since Feb though. We did have frost one day this month.

Good luck with blooms this year. I had one season 4-5 years ago that totaled 2 blooms. If it turns out to be a small bloomage season, add a few rebloomers if you can find some available place for more hydrangeas. When do you normally see the blooms in the broccoli stage in Virginia?

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oddly they seemed to have all survived-the buds are still broken but mostly alive-a very cold unusual spring here -snowed in late March as the buds were opened!!!-Going to 70 and 80's next week so we will see as they grow out....

• tulips101
    11 years ago

Everything I read says wait till a week or 2 after last frost date to plant my hydrangeas.I bought 3 Pinky Winkys this weekend and the woman who works there said I could just plant them now since they are dormat they are from last year but they still have a 1 year guarantee and they were 1/2 priced because getting new ones in.I think you fellow gardeners on this forum must know more even tho she has been there 13 years im sort of cofused can someone please help me.
    Plus do you recommend adding some of that boughten cow manure comost to the planting hole.
    Thank You

• tulips101
    11 years ago

Everything I read says wait till a week or 2 after last frost date to plant my hydrangeas.I bought 3 Pinky Winkys this weekend and the woman who works there said I could just plant them now since they are dormat they are from last year but they still have a 1 year guarantee and they were 1/2 priced because getting new ones in.I think you fellow gardeners on this forum must know more even tho she has been there 13 years im sort of cofused can someone please help me.
    Plus do you recommend adding some of that boughten cow manure comost to the planting hole.
    Thank You