Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
From seed

Posted by IRuehl none (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 23, 11 at 18:41

Are they hard to grow from seed? How would this be done? Who sells the seed? Spanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: From seed

Hi, IRuehl. Hydrangeas grown from seed may not be true to the parent, which is why many people try other propagation techniques such as cuttings and layering. Maybe for that reason, I have not seen the seeds for sale at seed companies. But that does not mean no one sells the seeds out there. I just have not run into a company that does. And since the seed may not be true to the parent, I am not attracted to the idea much.

The seed growing technique I have seen requires cold stratification for two months, long enough for my brain to forget I put the seeds in the refrigerator. Soo, I recommend propagation by cutting and-or layering instead.

Interestingly, of all hydrangeas, Climbing Hydrangea is best suited for seed propagation. But Macrophyllas are best propagated via softwood cuttings (cut them in May-June) or by layering.

Luis

o

Ah, good information. How do you "soft stem cut"? Is this hard to do as well? Thanks for your answer too!

o

It refers to new growth in the stems. In Spring, the new growth is soft and it hardens as the growth season progresses. By the Fall, it is harder and able to withstand winter better than when it was new soft growth.

o

Ahh, I take it I should not do this to my new ones, just planted one gallon?

o

I have Some Hydrangea seeds if you want them. I do not have the time to make them grow. If you are interested, just send me an email. you can have them for sase.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here