Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

New Paniculatas

whaas_5a
14 years ago

'Vanilla Strawberry' doesn't seem to be anything to get excited about...see 'Pinky Winky' and 'Quickfire'.

'Tickled Pink' seems to hold some promise as a dwarf paniculata.

Thoughts?

Comments (18)

• luis_pr
    14 years ago

I actually like the colors of V/S but would prefer to see the colors in a picture taken by someone other than a plant nursery. Hard to comment about T/P as most pictures I have seen do not show the blooms in their pink phase (with a name like Tickled Pink..... is that an odd thing to do or what????).

• prairiegirlz5
    14 years ago

I haven't seen it in person yet, but V/S blooms looks fluffier than PW in pics. If you're looking for a dwarf paniculata, there 'Little Lime' out now too.

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    14 years ago

at this point opinions are rather speculative until one has a season or two experience growing the plants. Marketing tends to greatly enhance images which can be so variable in real life growing. But it's always fun to grow and experience new plants. Try growing some from seed sometime and experience some unexpected results.

Marshall

• luis_pr
    14 years ago

What unexpected results have you had, Marshall? I do not grow much from seed for lack of time and space but you picked on my curiosity!

• echinaceamaniac
    14 years ago

I think the Vanilla Strawberry has potential to be the best! If it looks anywhere near the photos I've seen, it will be a must have.

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    14 years ago

Luis pr - go to the website I'm linking to and the first three rows of pictures contain images of a group of 50 I grew from seed and planted in a terraced bed. Probably the one I like best is the on shown in images DSC 6505/6506. Strong upright stems, the flowers turned pink almost immediately and remained that color into the late fall. The plant shown in images 6507/6508 had a similar bloom and a strong stem, but produce that size flower only on one stem - the rest were sort of small. I just did a thinning pruning and will do a follow-up stem pruning as soon as the buds start to swell. It will be interesting to see how they do this year - their 5th since being a speck of dust called seed

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Gallery Photos

• luis_pr
    14 years ago

I see what you mean about the large bloom but I liked the size and color. Great that it stayed that color. It should be interesting if it repeats this year again. I assume bloomage time for you in OH is around, what? June-ish?

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    14 years ago

Late June early July
    Marshall

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    14 years ago

Vanilla Strawberry and Pinky Winky--I couldn't decide if one is better than the other, so I ordered both for this spring, one for each side of the yard. But I kinda thought VS might be somewhat better, though I don't remember now why I thought that. Maybe it had something to do with VS needing more sun, but PW being a bit more tolerant of some part shade? At least, that is how I have them "planted" on my garden diagram.

Years ago when I bought my house, there already was a big, old paniculata in the east bed--gorgeous white blooms in later summer. I'm afraid I may have, in my ignorance, partly contributed to its demise. I'm looking forward to planting this new paniculata in the same spot--and hopefully I will care for it better this time around. It's a conspicuous spot in the backyard, so I do hope VS lives up to its press.

Kate

• echinaceamaniac
    14 years ago

Check out these pictures of Hydrangea 'Vanilla Strawberry'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wow

• ditas
    14 years ago

Thanks for the link!

I visited the Bailey's site a few months ago & entered 'her' into my wish list for 2010. I'm not fond of huge blossoms but love the colour ... I think nicer than PW!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    14 years ago

After viewing the pics in the link above, I'm so excited. Can't wait for my order.

Does anyone know how large the hydrangeas from Jung & co. are? I'm fearing it will be very tiny--but I figured a tiny V/S is better than no V/S.

Kate

• echinaceamaniac
    14 years ago

I got my Vanilla Strawberry in today. I'll post a photo if it blooms this year. I cannot wait to see this one in person!

• mehearty
    14 years ago

Wow. That is so much more beautiful than QuickFire!

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

the flower or the color?

• echinaceamaniac
    14 years ago

How can anyone look at those photos and not be excited about Vanilla Strawberry? It looks much fuller and has better color than Pinky Winky. I think Vanilla Strawberry will be the perfect companion for my Limelight!

• ditas
    14 years ago

Ditto echinaceamaniac ... just hope I can find it in town!!!

mehearty - I tend to like the loose & airy look of QF tho, & oh not to forget those rosy red limbs that shows thru! I do have a spot readied since last Fall for another easy care, sun proof & sassy, however ... I think VS is it!!!

Â;)

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I agree VS will be a winner to add to the paniculata lover collection.

I also tend to favor the loose and airy look of the flowers as well. Haven't really been a fan of the pom pom looking flowers. I'm going to give Limelight or VS a try this year.