Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bloomstruck

Posted by mainegard3 5b-6a (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 21:24

Has anyone got the inside scoop on this new one? Will it replace the original or will it be like New Coke.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bloomstruck

I got this from villagesoup some time ago:

Zone 4-9, 3-4’T x 4-5’W • #2, #3, #5 ES container • Rounded to spreading habit • Striking red-purple stems • 3.5-5" Rose pink, violet or blue flowers • pH dependent • Glossy green leaves, red petioles • Bred by M. Dirr • Blooms on New and old wood • Good disease resistance - esp. powdery mildew.

Meet BloomStruck™, the newest addition to the Endless Summer® Collection of reblooming hydrangeas! As with all Endless Summer varieties, BloomStruck will boast big, beautiful blooms all summer long, measuring 3.5 - 5" across. Another great feature of BloomStruck and this collection is the ability to change the blooms' color to your liking. Depending on soil pH, you can have rose-pink, violet or blue flower heads.

o

Any word on the release of Rockstar?

o

Bloomstruck is Rockstar. Issues with using the name Rockstar.

o

What is the difference between Bloomstruck and the Original? If any.

o

Bloomstruck is a cross between the original ES and Twist and Shout. It gets its red stems from TS. Blooms are smaller and so is the shrub, slightly. Other than that, unless someone can convince me otherwise, or has one, I'll stick to the original and give it good winter protection.

This post was edited by mainegard3 on Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 20:46

o

What is the difference between Bloomstruck and the Original? If any.

o

Very different looking plants.

Darker green leaves, very red stems, flowers can be more deep purple or rose-pink, leafs out later, heavy bloomer.

o

Seeing Bloomstruck show up in nurseries now...I had a test plant that did come thru this winter with no die back. Most other did die back except Lady in Red and Twist and Shout....

o

• Posted by vasue 7A Charlottesville (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 10:09

What did you think of it in leaf & bloom? Really liking the no die back part!

o

leaves have a slight red tint and are smaller than Es but certainly handled winter well with no die back-blooms will wait and see but the unopened blooms in the nursery seemed smaller too.

o

Mine appears to have survived the winter quite nicely. Macs always dieback here, but lots of buds around the base and part way up the stems.

o

A couple of my local nurseries are loaded with 2-gallon pots with many branches for $25, before "shopping season" has even really begun. Might snatch one for testing...

I do relate to the similarities and redundancies between this and other products, but I can't say I haven't been markedly disappointed with any ES product yet (aside from Bella Anna behaving a bit more wimpily than Annabelle).

But so far, Bloomstruck looks to potentially be a viable candidate for filler and replacement in northern gardens, where cross-year reliability is paramount.

o

So impressed with the no die back. Lady in Red and also no die back. Twist and Shout some die back but not much. Lilacina and Prezeosia also no die back.

o

My Bloomstruck, after dying back to about 6", has a lot of flowers coming.

o

It does seem to be a little floppy but that just may be the young plant.

o

Here's a pic of mine from today (new from nursery stock). It has cotton-candyish themed blooms with lighter centers that get darker toward the edges. The blooms are the main seller - forget the red stems. Colors range from medium pink to magenta to blue to purple. Very cool.

photo IMG_20140602_165302_729.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here