Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Name a deep purple/blue variety

Posted by daylilyluver z6 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 5, 10 at 23:31

that is Zone 6 hardy?

There is a beautiful one that is growing at the base of someone's foundation and the color is truly striking.

If need be, I'll amend the soil to help it change color but please guide me to one.

Any help is appreciated as well as sources.

thanks
Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Name a deep purple/blue variety

'Hamburg' has very deep blue to purple flowers. I also like 'Enziandom' (aka 'Gentian Dome'), both for the deep color and size of the flowerheads. These will need acidic soil to develop that coloring. There are other cultivars that provide very deep, intense color as well, but these two are popular and tend to be more widely available.

With the exception of some of the newer varieties that bloom on both old and new wood (and none of these produce very intense color, IMO), macrophyllas in zone 6 should receive winter protection to ensure the flower buds are not damaged. They will be root hardy but the buds - formed during the previous summer and fall - are more susceptible to winter (and spring) cold damage.

o

You might also try 'Marechal Foch', which can be quite deep blue, or 'Merritt's Supreme' for a good purple. 'Nightingale' is a lacecap form flowering indigo to purple, or you could even try (strangely enough) 'Red Star', which according to Glynn Church "is a magnificent blue in acid soil, making a mockery of its name." As far as hardiness, gardengal48 hit the nail on the head (as usual)- any of them will do fine in zone 6, with adequate winter protection.

o

wild belief makes a good point - a lot of the deep pink or so-called 'red' flowered varieties will be a dark blue to purple under acidic conditions. Michael Dirr's Hydrangeas for American Gardens has a very nice listing of dozens of mac cultivars with their coloring under both acidic or less acidic soil conditions. Some of these - OK, LOTS of these - will not be readily available outside of specialty growers, however.

o

Thank you for the input. I'll have to do some research now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here