Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf Hydrangea selection - opinions on my candidates?

Posted by wynswrld98 z7 WA (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 23:56

I'm looking for a dwarf hydrangea to replace a large one that has taken over. I'm hoping to keep it 3' or less (ideally 2'). I'm not well versed in hydrangeas. Here are ones I'm considering:

Let's Dance Starlight
Color Fantasy
Pia
Proven Winners Cityline Paris

Any opinions?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf Hydrangea selection - opinions on my candidates?

I have seen some Paris shrubs and they look very nice. Locally, the cityline and Let's Dance Series have arbitrarily shown up at small or medium plant nurseries but not all the varieties showed up. Pia, being an older variety has shown up at nurseries more reliably.

The Let's Dance Series Starlight is a rebloomer. Fantasy, Paris and Pia do not rebloom so they produce the flower buds in July-August and then bloom the following Spring. Do not expect to get the purple seen on some pictures of Fantasy; that actually depends on your soil.

o
RE: Dwarf Hydrangea selection - opinions on my candidates?

2' is a nice wish but in our climate, 3-4' is more likely for any of these and some perhaps even larger. I am disinclined to want to prune to maintain a specific size and you do run the risk of reducing or eliminating a bloom cycle if you do.

"reblooming" hydrangeas are a bit of a misnomer in our area as well.......any hydrangea here has a rather lengthy bloom season but unless greenhouse grown, don't expect to see flowers before midJuly. Just not warm enough to encourage earlier blooming. But they will stay in bloom well into fall and often even after several light frosts.

All that said, 'Pia' (aka Pink Elf) is a reliable plant in this area with a heavy bloom and seldom gets much above 3'x3'. And holds its pink color well regardless of soil conditions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here