Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help on When To Plant Hydrangea Incrediball

Posted by budderpopcorn 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 26, 10 at 23:59

Hello,

I just received hydrangea incrediball via mail-order, but I am not sure if I should plant them now, or find a way to hold off until later. I'm in zone 7 (Northern Virginia right outside Washington DC), and the last frost tends to be late April or early May.

The hydrangeas have a fair amount of new growth on them already -- 2 to 3 new green shoots, each about 2 inch long, with a few leaves, and I wonder if I'm going to kill the plants by planting them outdoors now. But the instruction says it is best for any delivered plants to be planted outside immediately.

What to do? And if the right thing is to hold off until much later when the danger of last frost is gone, then what do I do to keep these healthy for almost a month?

As a newbie on gardening, I'd really appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help on When To Plant Hydrangea Incrediball

If it was me I would plant it right away. If there is a chance of frost just cover it up for the night with a sheet or burlap. When they are that small make sure you give it plenty of water. Good Luck!

o

Thanks, hydrangeasnohio. I called a local nursery, and their suggestion was the same: plant now, and if frost is anticipated, cover the plants up to protect the new leaves.

o

If you ordered from a nursery like wayside they won't ship until it's your time to plant and if I does die you can get a free replacement, so I would go for it.

o

• Posted by sue36 Z5 Maine (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 30, 10 at 20:59

If it is only one plant I would pot it up and let it grow in the pot until it is warmer. It will grow faster in the pot than in the ground right now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here