Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrangea pairings

Posted by muffin1358 6/MA (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 7:00

What are your favorite hydrangea companion plants? I'm trying to come up with ideas for foundation plantings. I would love to do all hydrangea but in New England I feel there should be some sort of evergreen to keep interest.

At this point I am considering holly or boxwood or rhododendron...

Then maybe hosta in the foreground along with alyssum annuals. Perhaps tulips/daffodils for early spring color...

I welcome your ideas and photos!

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrangea pairings

Early flowering camellia sasanquas or late flowering camellia japonicas will give you evergreen look and bloomage when other shrubs are shutting down or waking up. Hollies also sound good if their pointed leaves will not cause problems near walkways. Nothern Bayberry would produce food for the birds but it becomes semi-evergreen in some areas. Common juniper (Juniperus communis) may be ok if you like junipers. Canadian yew (Taxus canadiensis (sp?)) is good & hardy in Z6 shady spots. Some azaleas/rhodies are evergreen but I do not know about which ones are so in New England. Even if they are not, some varieties will produce bloomage at times when the hydrangeas are not blooming. Plus some produce nice autumn foliage.

o

Thank you Luis! I'm exploring your camellia suggestion...not sure if I have the right conditions for it but I'm loving the April Dawn.

o

That ones reminds of a striped one that I used to have called Eleanor McCown. I loved it because it began to produce sports out of one branch. Some blooms were normal, others were all pink, and a others were a mix of whote and pink. Contact Camellia Forest in Chapel Hill, NC at 919-968-0504 if you want to discuss possibilities with them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here