Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bavaria like Nikko blue?

Posted by nancylp 5 SE MI (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 8:08

I received a beautiful Hydrangea Bavaria that is pink and white as a prize. I have been unable to find out it's hardiness zone. I am wondering if it is like Nikko blue in my area. - Not blossom /bud hardy. I cannot grow Nikko blue except as a shrub without flowers. Anyone have any info on Bavaria?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bavaria like Nikko blue?

I have not seen it for sale here and could not find much information online. However, similar ones like Hydrangea Harlequin are hardy only to Zone 7 so it sounds like a good specimen to keep in containers and bring inside when the weather turns cold. Nikko is hardy to Zone 6 so winter protection is mandatory where you live if you want blooms. If you prune either of them, do it after they have bloomed but before July and stop fertilizing them on or after July.

This post was edited by luis_pr on Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 20:02

o
RE: Bavaria like Nikko blue?

From what I've seen, there are NO picotee / two-tone hydrangeas that are very bud hardy. I've tried multiple varieties in zone 6, and all have died completely to the ground in the winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here