Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ditas_gw

What One Good Looking H Paniculata ... ?

ditas
12 years ago

Good Morning ~ In this nearly crowded *Piece of Soil Under Iowa Skies* I have a prospective site good enough for just 1 more H paniculata ~ could be the very last ~ what one should I look for?

I'm moving a Hibiscus from this sampler row of assort. shrubs ~ full/sun side foundation w/ H p Angel's Blush at the SE end & Dwarf Korean Lilac at the SW end (W Wine & Roses & Hibiscus-Luna Blush between)

Hp I already have are: 2Tardivas, Little Lamb, Quick Fire, Pink Diamond, Kyushu Tree & young Kyushu (3y/o rooted branch) a tickle Pink, Vanilla Strawberry & the AB in the site mentioned.

Will appreciate suggestions ~ I personally prefer the airy bloom clusters to the tight mop-head look. TIA!

Comments (13)

• luis_pr
    12 years ago

Musat be nice to have the space to grow all those paniculatas! Consider adding some that I have read about... Limelight? Greenspire? Phantom?

• ditas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oooops I do have Limelight & Unique as well both 3rd season but not the Little Lime. I'll check out Phantom ~ thanks Luis ~ I need the Hpaniculata to be same size as Angel's Blush. The South foundation is sloping down E & I'm trying to cover up some of the wall hgt (basement wall) ~ I have a walk-out back.

What I have done since retirement was to make the mowing area smaller & easier ~ the grassy area all along the 80ft retaining wall (divided by steps to the lower tier) became tricky to mow as it sloped ~ I turned both part shade & sunny into a row of assorted Hydrangeas. I also took all the generic yews on the south & the front foundations & replaced w/ longer blooming shrubs. On the N side foundation I kept 2 huge Hostas & replaced the rest w/ AM sun Hydrangeas (Nikko, Anna Belle & Blue Frost) doing well there!

On the sunny side of the front I created a garden for my then 4y/o Grand-dau who didn't want to come home from the nursery w/o the little Kyushu tree covered w/ blooms (called her a princess tree). On the shady side I have MyM & Mariesii Var!

Sorry for getting carried away I simply love all the Hs blooming all season - this piece of soil is likened to a Gramma-Quilt w/ all sorts of textures!

• ditas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oooops I do have Limelight & Unique as well both 3rd season but not the Little Lime. I'll check out Phantom ~ thanks Luis ~ I need the Hpaniculata to be same size as Angel's Blush. The South foundation is sloping down E & I'm trying to cover up some of the wall hgt (basement wall) ~ I have a walk-out back.

What I have done since retirement was to make the mowing area smaller & easier ~ the grassy area all along the 80ft retaining wall (divided by steps to the lower tier) became tricky to mow as it sloped ~ I turned both part shade & sunny into a row of assorted Hydrangeas. I also took all the generic yews on the south & the front foundations & replaced w/ longer blooming shrubs. On the N side foundation I kept 2 huge Hostas & replaced the rest w/ AM sun Hydrangeas (Nikko, Anna Belle & Blue Frost) doing well there!

On the sunny side of the front I created a garden for my then 4y/o Grand-dau who didn't want to come home from the nursery w/o the little Kyushu tree covered w/ blooms (called her a princess tree). On the shady side I have MyM & Mariesii Var!

Sorry for getting carried away I simply love all the Hs blooming all season - this piece of soil is likened to a Gramma-Quilt w/ all sorts of textures!

• ditas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Uh oh ~ what happened ~ duplicate posting? How do I delete the inadvertent 2nd post?

• luis_pr
    12 years ago

Weird. Two hours apart too! Don't worry. The same thing happens to me when I put on my glasses... on top of my contacts. Hee hee hee.

• ditas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

FUNNY LUIS!!! ROTFLOL
    We lost power briefly d'ya think it happened then? So there's no way to delete huh?

By the way I checked Phantom ~ he's gonna be a giant I don't think the foundation depth can handle him ~ is only good for Quick Fire size specs. Li'l Lime is a bit small. Come to think of it perhaps QF would be great there!

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    12 years ago

How about Swan??

• luis_pr
    12 years ago

I thought you said you already had Quick Fire? The Swan is indeed another good choice too. I think I need to start planting more trees!

• ditas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi again ~ Thank you for the SWAN suggestion ~ has been in my wish list but the size overwhelmed me. I read on this absolute beauty again & am rethinking ~ perhaps not for the site I originally posted this ??

I plucked a few pics to help me think & decide. & for you Luis ~ I also added my Grand-dau's Princess Kyu to tease you. The huge top chopped off by tornado, 2 yrs ago rooted & now in the ground in the back fence!

Here is a link that might be useful: Site for 1 or 2 more Hp

• ditas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just came from the reputable Nursery in our area I deal with, in search of Swan ~ what I found was Baily's 2011 First Edition GREAT STAR ~ that looked a great deal like SWAN as well as specs! A bit picey ~ I'll check out the other Baily distributors in town!

• ditas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hubby got me *GREAT STAR* Baily's 2011 intro ~ I'm thrilled!

Got the dead Luna Blush dug up & hole was ready for MDay planting ~ mission accomplished!

• melaroma
    12 years ago

Ditas, If I pay for your ticket can you come over and do my garden? Seriously though yours looks gorgeous!

• ditas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Let me get my M'Day Twist & Shout sank in their homes first ~ No need for tkt I love road trips ~ DH asked if he can tag along (but w/ him ~ it might take forever to get to Zone 6)? LOL

THANK YOU for the compliments!