Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wedding Gown Hyfrangea pruning?

Posted by kfargy 5b (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 9:49

Does anyone know the proper pruning for this Hydrangea in zone 5b??
I have read conflicting articles and even some that say it will die down to the ground in zone 5.. Anyone in zone 5b grow this H??

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wedding Gown Hyfrangea pruning?

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 11:03

These are fairly new on the market, I doubt you are going to find much hands on consumer experience with them. The marketing reads - " dwarf flowering shrub blooms on new wood, so you can do pruning in early spring, before growth begins. Flowering begins earlier than that of most varieties of Hydrangea macrophylla and continues on new growth into fall if spent blooms are removed regularly. " But, to take advantage of earliest blooms, in a Z5b you may need to offer winter protection for them so they are not dying back so severely every year.

Try waiting til Spring to prune back any winter damage or to shape if needed - don't prune in the fall in your colder zone.

o
RE: Wedding Gown Hyfrangea pruning?

I have this one too, and it is shaped so poorly. I'm tempted to prune it now, but there are buds on it and I'd lose the flowers if I shaped it now. Mine is tall and gangly, lacking leaves in the center. Based on the advice of others I'm going to leave it be and patiently see if it does indeed fill in this season. Then prune at the end of Summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here