Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melaroma

Complicated question on root growth (Luis, maybe?)

melaroma
11 years ago

I am close to ripping out my BB as it blooms poorly and has had iron chlorosis inspite of my using liquid iron chelated for years now. However, a couple of years back I found out while transplanting it that unlike the ES who had a strong root system the BB had one straggly main root with very little root system attached. Seems that I may have bought a runt...

So before I rip the poor little guy out I wonder if there is anything that I can do to stimulate root growth even if it means sacrificing blooms for this year. If I trim him back, how much? Do I just pinch the blooms off? The poor guy is strugling but he seems to try really hard to bloom so I think that he deserves one more chance. (This will be his last 4th "last" chance, lol)

I tend to like to use organic fertilizers such as Dr. Earth but in this case i am willing to try a little bit of inorganic fertilizer if it helps. What would you guys recommend I use and when during the growing season. Also, I know that I am not suppose to fertilize in the fall but since roots grow in the winter I thought that maybe then I could boost the root system with something that would not encourage top growth...

Any advice is appreciated!

Comment (1)