Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting in 10 gallon container and then in ground?

Posted by alyceusvi Z10/11St.JohnUS (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 29, 12 at 11:45

Hi,
I am still trying to grow a zone six garden in zone 10.
I have had good results with tomatoes using Tom's 'container in a container" method. I am contemplating permanently planting mophead hydrangeas which I am importing into 10 gallon containers and then submerging them in my planter which I had built to line my patio surrounded with topsoil then mulched.The planter backs up to a wall of boulders which supports the driveway and is poured concrete sixty feet by 30 inches in my entrance garden. It gets about 4 hours of sun a day.I am just not giving up hydrangeas. I have had enough encouragement from my potted hydrangeas to try this I put 7 gallon pots in large containers and then I can control color and moisture. Any advice or thoughts from hydrangea gardeners would be very appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting in 10 gallon container and then in ground?

Only the obvious... monitor the soil pH & moisture in a potted environment and choose a location that is not windy. I have seen hydrangeas in the Caribbean and discussed the subject with some people in the University of Puerto Rico. They reported successfully growing hortensias (their name for hydrangeas) in the ground, year around. As a result of the limited amount of dormancy, you may want to try planting some rebloomers as your growing season (and blooming season) will be longer than ours.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here