Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oakleaf Hydrangea - Deer Resistant?

Posted by paminpa z6, Pa. (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 17, 11 at 11:57

I read where Oakleaf Hydrangea's were deer resistant, however recently I see where some have experienced deer damage.

I realize if they can't get food they will eat most anything, but do those of you who are growing this find deer a problem. It was on my list to buy this year, but since I do have occasional problems with deer in our developement I'd like to know before purchasing.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oakleaf Hydrangea - Deer Resistant?

Funny you mention this, as this has been on my mind everyday. I can only speak for myself, but the deer LOVED and sought out mine. And did so much damage. That and the blueberries were ravished (many other things, just not to the same degree)... I'll be interested to see what others say. ALL HYDRANGEAS in the neighborhood this year were eaten (in varying degrees) by the deer. Never had the deer problem until this year. And they still come each night. I'm in PA too.

Amy

o

I read where older plants tended to be alone but I cannot test that for lack of deer in this metro area. I can only assume they went elsewhere? :o) And no, I do not want them back either! Hee hee hee!

But if you do a search on the word "deer" in this forum, you will find that they are not picky when it comes to hydrangeas. Dogs and a tall fence might help. Sprays with odors can help too but, you have to reapply them after it rains.

o

• Posted by gaalan z7b Atlanta (My Page) on
    Wed, May 11, 11 at 13:41

They eat oakleafs readily here. Best solution is fencing.

o

I spray Liquid Fence on mine; they do eat them.

o

We have a large number of oakleafs in a local arboretum that has a deer population and we do not experience any browse damage. But based on previous responses to this topic, ours are the exception it seems. You might contact a local arboretum/garden/park to see if you do have this issue in your location.
Marshall

o

The deer nibble the branches of this and everything else in my yard in the winter, but don't bother the leaves in the summer. I believe there are other plants they prefer, especially perennials that are all suculent foliage (no tough branches).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here