Cityline - Rio

ditas
15 years ago

Hi - 'Anyone own this Cityline beauty? Please comment! TIA

Ditas

Comments (6)

• georgia-rose
    14 years ago

Haven't seen that one at nurseries in my area. Probably be another year or so before they migrate south!
    HD's here usually stock the PW line. Will keep a lookout, as they often sell them at about half the asking price at local nurseries.

• ditas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you G-R, I haven't visited HD yet to check, as we have just started our season ... almost done with cleaning up our piece of soil & reviewing my wishlist. I didn't think I saw 'Rio' in the Cityline series '08 ... she's absolutely lovely in the add I saw! Â;)

• 2Dog1CatMom
    11 years ago

I would love to hear from someone who has this beauty.

I just planted two 4" plants in containers this spring. So far so good, but I'm not sure I'll see any blooms this year. Also thinking ahead to where I'm going to replant them in-ground this fall/winter.

• sherriseden
    11 years ago

I just got a Rio today. I asked the nursery guy why the group of Rios displayed didn't have any blooms and he said it was because they are not greenhouse grown and forced. He sourced them from a grower in Oregon where they were field grown and they're still a month from bloom on the Oregon biological clock. He said the first 30 he ordered from another grower in April sold in a couple days and he was unable to resource until now. So . . . depending on where the Rio you got was grown, it may not bloom till a bit later. Mine does have buds, but I don't expect bloom for several weeks.

• alina_1
    11 years ago

I have 'Rio' for 2.5 years now - not a single bloom. It is planted close to the house in a well protected area. This adds 1-2 to my zone (Clematis 'Viennetta', Dahlia, and Calla lilies are perennials on the same bed for me). 'Paris' that was bought and planted at the same and at the same location time bloomed beautifully both years.

So I'd say 'Rio' is a dud for me :(
    I do not like using burlap or other protection for my Hydrangeas, so I keep only reliable bloomers. I'll give it one more year. If it does not bloom for me, it will be replaced with some other compact variety.

• ccwinslow
    10 years ago

I bought a Cityline Rio in May 2012. It thrived (in high-canopy shade with some sun) but didn't bloom. This year it has more than a dozen flowers, and they are gorgeous! They start out chartreuse then slowly turn lavender-periwinkle-deep royal blue. The chartreuse eyes disappear in the lavender-perwinkle stage. I'm hoping I can propagate this beauty.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor