Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snowy Mountain Hydrangean Tree

Posted by cjsm5nys 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 20, 08 at 12:35

Last August I planted a Snowy Mountain Hydrangean Tree. The tree was planted in full sun. I followed all planting recommendation and planted the tree in a well protected area to keep wind and snow from damaging this expensive tree!

It is now spring. What can I look for. I do not think it is dead but it certainly does not look good :(

Thanks for some feedback.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snowy Mountain Hydrangean Tree

I think now would be the start of "leafout season" in Zone 5. That implies that some hydrangeas may have leafed out but not all. This is a process that can take until late May in some cases further north.

You can do two things now to check your Snow Mountain Hydrangea Tree: (1) wait or (2) prune some of the stems at 1" or 2" intervals until you get to the main tree stem or until you hit some green. Because it is so early in the season and this is a new shrub, I would wait a little longer instead of pruning.

Maintain the soil moist but not wet/dry as best as you can. Make sure that you water the root ball as the roots have probably not grown much past the edge of the pot in which the plant came. And keep it well mulched.

o

luis pr,

Thank you for your response.

I live in upstate NY and it is now early spring, but it has been unusually hot. So I am inclinded to give it some more time. I have begun to water in attempt to maintain moist soil but not to over water at the same time.

No leaves yet. However, just before fall last year, this tree grew two small branches about 6" length. This growth is a nice green with what appears to be very small buds.

The tree is of good size, about 7-8 feet.
The root ball when I planted was maybe about 2.5' wide.

Should I fertilize and if so what? Anything thing else I should do?

Thank you.

o

cjsm, it's funny that you just posted this, because I was going to do the same for my Snow Mountain tree too!

Yes, I remembered that you planted your tree at about the same time that I did. My tree is certainly not dead, as I checked the branches and they were green and alive. However, it is still not quite leafing out yet. I vaguely see some buds swelling from the nodes, but at times I wonder if it's just my imagination...! To make things worse, I gave a Snow Mountain tree to a friend at the same time last year as their house-warming present, and then another friend bought the same tree and planted it in her yard at also the same time. The one that I gave to the first friend as a present was overwintered in its pot and it is now showing new growth, and my other friend who planted it in her yard has tons of new growth in her Snow Mountain tree! Yikes! What is going on with mine?

The only explanation I could come up with was that my tree was in shock when I planted it last year. I remember that both of our trees were not doing so well last summer with all the leaves falling out prematurely. I suppose that's why it is waking up so slowly?

I can't think of anything else to do but to be patient... let's hope for the best and keep me posted! :-)

o

Hello, cjsm5nys. At this point, I would do nothing other than maintain the soil moist. In other words, do not feed the plant any fertilizers.

Hydrangeas in your zone should be fertilized with manure or cottonseed meal in June (once a year and that is it). Minor fertilizers like liquid seaweed, liquid fish and coffee grounds can be applied throughout the growing season (after the plant leafs out) but all types of fertilization should then stop by August/September (in order to prepare the plant for winter).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here