Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting Hydrangea

Posted by jude1234 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 12:45

To make room for a deck we are building my husband dug up my hydrangeas (2 large plants) and transplanted them without consulting me or google. The plants which had beautiful green leaves now have dead leaves. Should I leave the plants alone or prune them? Any suggestions. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting Hydrangea

It is hard to tell. It depends on how much of the root ball moved to the new location. The more one moves, the less transplant shock there is.

There are times when giving it a crew cut would help and that is when many of the roots were cut and the fibruous ones that absorb water cannot supply as much water as the plant above the ground needs.

I would monitor the shrub, especially the soil moisture, and prune if you notice a lot of the leaves suffering. Forget about bloomage this year. Maintain 3-4" of mulch to help and do not fertilize until next year as the shrub will be stressed now and again sometimes during the worst of the summer months.

I know how you feel. I had a crew come work on the roof and they moved some azaleas and a lilac without telling me. Both died. Why is it that people do not even think of using a darn telephone to check if their plan is ok???

Luis

PS - I assumed that the new location for the plants is adequate.... morning sun/afternoon shade or dappled sun; soil drains well; not too windy; etc

o
RE: Transplanting Hydrangea

Thanks Luis
The new location is exactly the same sun/shade/soil mix that plants had before the transplant. I think a "crew cut" might help the plants because all of the leaves are dead. I will increase the mulch to 3-4" and hope they come back next year.
Jude

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here