Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kentstar_gw

Lifted my protection

kentstar
14 years ago

today and all looks great. Lots of new growth and buds are still fine. I had one break off but nothing else. I went ahead and still mounded some pine chip mulch around the base. I will keep watching the temps though. It's a Forever and Ever Blue Heaven hydrangea. Hope all goes well!

Comments (24)

• ostrich
    14 years ago

kentstar, I am sure they will be fine! If the temp drops, then you just go round the yard like a crazed, headless chicken (i.e. like ME! LOL), running around with tons of sheets to try to cover up the babies...... sigh! LOL

BTW, the landscaping crew that I use came last Friday before I even knew, and did the spring clean up. Oh well, so now everything is uncovered!!!!!!!!!!! Thank goodness the temperature is mild.....

• luis_pr
    14 years ago

Friday Night should be cold in your area so keep an eye on the temps.

• hydrangeasnohio
    14 years ago

Oh boy your right Luis they changed the forecast!!! They are saying 35 degrees in my area Friday night!!! Crazy how often they change it!! Looks like we all might be running around with sheets. But I wouldn't be surprised if they change it again. The have a hard enough time around here getting the 24 hour forecast right!!! Let alone days to a week in advance....LOL

• kentstar
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Luckily my hydrangea is small enough that I can use a large overturned pot over it. I bought my first one last summer, so I only have the one to watch. I will be covering it this weekend!

• hydrangeasnohio
    14 years ago

They just said only the Cleveland news 32 degrees!!! Weather Channel is saying 35!!! Crazy

• kentstar
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeah, and accuweather.com says only Friday night 30 degrees. Crazy
    Well, we'll still have to run out there and cover anyways lol. I have to get up and out of here at 5:30 am on Friday morning! I don't know how, but I'll have to have my DH uncover it in the morning! Ugh! Hope I can count on him to do it and not forget!

• melaroma
    14 years ago

I might be getting all the leaves off leaving the cage in place and throw a blanket over them. Would that work? I would love to see the progress but don't want to risk it after all the work I went through to winter protect. We have been having some hard frosts still. Our duck pool was a bit frozen this morning. If I leave the leaves on for too long can that do harm to the hydrangea? Thanks!

• hydrangeasnohio
    14 years ago

Yea a sheet would even work, but the leaves should be ok for awhile longer. I wouldn't worry about the leaves doing anykind of damage.

• hydrangeasnohio
    14 years ago

I just finished running around the yard covering mine up with sheets! They say 36 degrees tonight and 34 tomorrow. Just a little to close for comfort so I played it safe. I am glad I atleast waited to uncover two of the seven that I protect every winter. The rebloomers are on there own just like across this winter. But it is a shame if they do get frosted because they did not die to the ground this winter and the snow seemed to protect their old buds very well. Oh well it is in Mother Natures hands now!

• kentstar
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I went out earlier and covered the hydrangea with an overturned pot along with a couple of other plants with flower buds on them that I feel safer covering! Hope it's a false alarm! I know I didn't go through all that work in fall to fail now lol.

• ostrich
    14 years ago

hydrangeasohio and kentstar, I really don't think that our 34F degree weather tonight will be a problem. It's cloudy and drizzly outside. As long as we don't get a killer frost, we will be OK! So I am not taking my sheets out tonight... :-)

• kentstar
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeah, it's Friday night we have to really worry about.
    Mid 20's!

• ostrich
    14 years ago

Oh my goodness, kentstar, you must be away from the lake, so you're much colder. We are supposed to go down to 33F tonight, but nothing close to the 20's!!! Since it's overcast and rainy out there, it should be OK. Then tomorrow will warm up again. Weird weather - going from 80's to the 30's within just a few days!

• kentstar
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just checked my weatherbug on my puter and it said upper 20's now. Still enough to cover my precious new baby lol. I'm not taking any chances! I'll uncover first thing in the morning.
    I am located about 20 minutes north of Akron or about 45 minutes south of Cleveland.

• hydrangeasnohio
    14 years ago

We had frost this morning. But I think we made it through with the sheets. I am just south of Akron.

• ostrich
    14 years ago

Can you believe it? Even though our temperature never went below freezing last night, and we did not have any frost, I noted some cold damage to the very tender leaves of my ES. My Annabelles and the paniculatas are all good though. I hate this! Oh well, I guess it will grow out of it and look fine later on. It's just annoying LOL.

• ditas
    14 years ago

Good morn - 'have been getting up my 'sleeping beauties' as well ... Ma Nature seems to be making up for our very crippling past Winter ... however we can't be too confident ... I dropped their burlaps just around their feet for quick cover-up - don't want to run like a beheaded chick'n should she decide to wave her tricky wand once more!

Some beauties were indeed stretching a bit, as mighty sun & unseasonable warmth giggled them up! ... 8 more to go!

I figure, 1 or so nites of frost would only make them pout a bit huh?

• hydrangeasnohio
    14 years ago

Yea I noticed on my rebloomers today also some frost bit on the leaves since I did not protect them. Also I just lifted my protection of of one more of my hydrangeas today. Only one left to go here!

• kentstar
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's a pic of my Blue Heaven with some new growth. Looks pretty good so far. I guess the protection worked so far. I'll post more pics when it's all grown up some and bloomin'.

Cathy

• ditas
    14 years ago

Hi - 5 more weeks 'til our divas' official coming out party but 10degs above our normal for this time of the yr would mean 5 additional weeks of fun!!!

I undressed 8 yesterday & forgot that there were 3 Nikko that I potted & sank to the ground last fall I had forgotten about ... a couple of them have shoots like white asparagus eager to join all the others in the surge!!! I'm hoping to find takers ... I can't have 3 more to coddle come Fall! ... sigh!

Kentstar - isn't that exciting to find efforts pay!!!

hydrangeasnohio - I read in another thread that you have LOD - this will be 3rd season for mine but have not seen the shadow of her blossom ... I got her sight unseen for her beautiful foliage but am curious ... do you have pic of your blossom?

Osrich - how's your Lime Light leafing out my '09 little girl is even more eager than QF ... all her little twiglettes are getting full ... perhaps due to her youth d'you think?

Have a great day ... I will out there, upper 70s & 80s tomorrow here!!! Â;)

• hydrangeasnohio
    14 years ago

Hello Ditas, I could only easily find a pic from 2008 of the LOD. It is the last one I have to remove protection from. I haven't seen it bloom more than a couple flowers from the base for about 4 years now. I think this winter was easy on the Hydrangeas, so I am staying hopeful. Plus this is the first year I used double burlap. Usually only one layer plus leaves. Works good for my other Hydrangeas execpt for the Lady in Red. She has gave me the same problems as the LOD. But I already dug her up this year and put her in a pot. I swear last year the LOD had better foilage than shown in this pic. I had another member tell me that the LOD was a rebloomer, so it got me curious. I searched around and noticed many selling it under a rebloomer. I think that is a joke!!! LOL !!!

{{gwi:997762}}

• ostrich
    14 years ago

Hi Ditas! My Limelight is leafing out quite well. it is certainly leafing out earlier than my Quick Fire or Pinky Winky. My Annabelles are also leafing out very well too.

I still can't get over the fact that we are a month early here in NE Ohio!!! :-)

• ditas
    14 years ago

Finally ... all layers peeled off whew!!! I'll ease up a bit on the wraps ... I'm w/ you hydrangeasnohio ... will just double burlap & wrap the cages w/ landscaping fab (wind barrier) ... leave the established new-wood bloomers to fend for themselves ... what's more I'm not adding another *needy diva* in this piece of soil ... there I said it!!!

I hope LOD blooms for both of us this season. I have 2 Serratas w/ variegated foliage - Mariesii Variegatta surprised me w/ several blossoms nothing impressive until Fall ... LOD no show but impressive creamy splashes. Here's my album on both. FWIW

Here is a link that might be useful: MV & LOD

• ditas
    14 years ago

Hi Ostrich - I'm glad to hear that it isn't just due to thinner young canes that makes Lime Light leaf out faster ... she's really an eager beaver, huh?! Â;) The only other one fuller now is Angel's Blush ... now I see why Silvergold's fav!

Oh, when was it I got a bit 'lopper happy' ... chopped Anna Belle, as well to a mere 8"-10" ... I wanted to see if she'd be more like yours & all the others around here ... closer to the ground & fuller. I'm still keeping the cage I surrounded her in, just in case!

Guess what, both ESs, out back - didn't get their wind breakers on, are the lushiest ... 80-90% of their old woods are leafing out joyfully!!! W/ fingers crossed no more late frost!

We'll hit 80s again today & beautiful sun! Great day to all! Â;)