Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
new_gardener_2010

plant identification

new_gardener_2010
11 years ago

Does anyone know what type of climbing hydrangea this is?
I have been unable to identify it and can't find anything else like it online.

I'm hoping to grow it on a backyard fence.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest

This post was edited by new_gardener_2010 on Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 13:41

Comments (8)

• new_gardener_2010
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Most of the ones I've seen on line are more like the lacy version.

This post was edited by new_gardener_2010 on Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 13:52

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

First, it is not a hydrangea. It is a type of snowball viburnum (pleated leaves are a distinct characteristic), of which there are several types. These are not climbers but shrubs and sometimes quite large ones. As best as I can tell from the photo, this is planted in some sort of elevated container and allowed to cascade over the railing. Also appears to be in quite a lot of shade, which might explain this very lax habit.

FWIW, all climbing hydrangeas have lacecap type flowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: snowball viburnum

• new_gardener_2010
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you very much! It was posted as such on Pinterest.
    Goes to show you can't believe everything you read on the internet.

• luis_pr
    11 years ago

How true, new_gardener_2010. Reminds me of a State Farm TV commercial currently airing in which a girl tells a friend that she believes anything said on the Internet. Her boyfriend was "found" on the Internet too and she likes him because he said he is French Model in the Internet. After all, you cannot put something on the Internet that is not true" to which her boyfriend replied 'Bonjour' with a non-French accent. Ha! LOL!!!

To keep this gardening related, I also agree with gardengal. I just saw a snowball vibirnum blooming at the Dallas Arboretum last weekend. I admit I did a double take, as I do every year when I see it again there. Definitely can be confusing but, it is way too early for most (all?) hydrangeas grown in the ground to be blooming in March or early April. Hydrangea blooms may be in the broccoli stage now in the southernmost gardens. Over here in my zone, most hydrangeas are leafing out although I have one doing "the broccoli thing".

• new_gardener_2010
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Luis, Haha, that sounds like a great commercial! And you told the story so well. At least I was able to post a correction on the page where I found that picture so that others won't be confused as well.

Now that I've seen the link from gardengal48 I think the plant would be too big for the space I have. Darn it. It's so nice!

I do have quite a few hydrangeas though. My climber is only 3 years old and hasn't really decide to leap yet. I've left lots of room for it but it could be a while before it really starts to expand. Last year I had a single bloom so I guess it's coming along.

We've had a really cold spring up here in Ontario (zone 5) so no leafing out yet on any. There were still snow flurries yesterday. Boy, I'm so chomping the bit to get out there in garden!

• luis_pr
    11 years ago

Wow. The mild winter in this area this year allowed my Flowering Quince to start blooming in mid January so hearing about your lack of leaf out is quite a shock! Most of the potted plants went outside about a month ago and I almost panicked two weeks ago because the temps were expected to get cold with dips to 30 and 32.

• new_gardener_2010
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Haha, had to reply to tell you about our snow and ice storm this week Luis. There was just a touch of what you called leaf out on my hydrangeas before the storm hit. I sure hope they are alright. They had a heck of a time last year with this wonderful Toronto weather.

• luis_pr
    11 years ago

Oh no. We had a wild day a couple of nights ago too. The weather service said frost and 32 degrees for that evening and I found out after 7pm! All the pots I have are large and heavy and would have appreciated more of a warning! Hee hee hee! Luckily we bottomed out way above freezing and had no frost. I am glad they were wrong this time!

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm