Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Lemon Daddy' hydrangea - rants/raves?

Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 17, 12 at 13:57

I *know* the flower buds are not hardy in my zone, but I don't really care about that, I want the bush for the lush yellow/chartreuse foliage to brighten up a particular spot. Will be in part-shade.

Any rants/raves you want to share regarding the Lemon Daddy (besides lack of flowering rant...). What I'm looking for is overall, how does it perform foliage-wise, and is winter die-back in terms of foliage going to be a big problem or any other input you think is relevant.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Lemon Daddy' hydrangea - rants/raves?

Ironically this is the only Mac on my property (including remontants) that DIDN'T experience massive freeze damage to the terminal buds after leafing out in March. To boot there was absolutely NO bud kill over the winter. Now you'd think that it would be the old wood bloomer to perform this summer? We'll see.
This will be the first chance for mine to bloom because I got it last summer, and Novalis trims theirs down each season.

Lemon Daddy and Big Daddy are relatively easy to get. If you find a good nursery or home center, 3gals can run in the $20-30 range. Mine quickly shot up to 3.5 feet by summer's end. The leaves are soft and waxy, but durable. They will droop almost daily in dry heat or too much sun but bounce back fine. I believe the leaves become more yellow as they age.

o

Oh, you sound like me a few years ago. I was not shopping for hydrangeas when I went to a nursery that just happened to have a Sun Goddess Hydrangea (similar to Lemon Daddy). The plant bumped me when I was moving backwards in the cramped area and said hello and, well, I had to take it home. SG had nice leaves that start yellow and turn more green as the year progresses so I am eager to see what others have to say about your Lemon Daddy. Find out how the blooms look against the foliage. Mine has pink blooms that I do not quite againt the yellow leaves background but it is keeper because of the leaves anyways. The first year I pruned off the blooms but now I leave them on the plant. I am sure you will enjoy your Lemon Daddy if it is anywhere close to what SG looks like, mxk3!

o

Sun Goddess is a winner for me too but Lemon Daddy I can not get it to thrive-maybe it needs a better location...

o

Anyone doing well with lemon daddy? Big daddy is looking good after 3-4 years finally but lemon daddy dead

o

funny about your freeze damage-several years ago we had a bad spring freeze and the Sun Godess was the only one to bloom-even the remontants came much later. Maybe yellow leaves have a frost tolerance?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here