Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenqueen_gw

what color bloom does Quick Fire have?

greenqueen
12 years ago

I've been researching the Quick Fire but am totally confused on the coloring of the bloom. I realize it's a process of color change, but when I google images some are pink, some burgundy, some really orange red. I'm not a real orange red lover, so trying to get the real facts here.

Comments (17)

• October_Gardens
    12 years ago

Blooms start out white, begin to develop a pink hue, and then begin to turn progressively darker through the stages you mentioned all the way into the fall.

This is the case with just about all H. paniculatas, as white is the only primary color of bloom, sometimes mixed with green, with shades of red on the aged flowers. However, Quick Fire will bloom and mature faster than just about all other paniculatas, doing so as early as June.

• luis_pr
    12 years ago

QF is an early bloomer and a good choice. The problem with the pictures is that they may be retouched or your monitor or picture software may tweak things automatically so what one gets may not be what one saw in a picture. I have had that problem with pictures of roses too.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

Mine doesn't seem to have orange in its reds and pinks. I have acid soil, but don't know if there is a subtle change in color due to pH in paniculatas since I haven't grown them in less acid soil.

• luis_pr
    12 years ago

There may be small differences due to weather and soil minerals, etc. I have not seen orange here per se but, there are times when in some small areas of the blooms you can see a slight color tone that is close to an orange but not quite.

Vanilla Strawberry is another example of color differences. It turns a nice magenta given the proper weather but there are some people whose location and weather are not similar enough to the one where VS was developed in France and thus it does not develop a nice magenta color in the Fall for them.

• Jennifer Jones
    8 years ago

This one was planted just a few weeks ago with no blooms. The blooms opened white and are now this color and I love them!

• Jennifer Jones
    8 years ago
    I see what you mean... the blooms are more dense than Quick Fire usually is, but mine was definitely labeled Quick Fire. It could have been mislabeled? It did bloom early though like a Quick Fire.
  • Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    8 years ago

Here is an up close image of my Quickfire Hydrangea bloom. This was taken back in June, and it's pink now. It's very pretty. Can't comment on the fall colors since I just got it this year, haven't seen it yet.

• starlight99
    8 years ago

Colour changes of Vanilla Strawberry (like the one shown above) is much brighter (nicer) than my QF....which is more of a "dirty" pink. But it flowers earlier than the other paniculatas....so that is the trade off.

• gumneck 7A Virginia
    8 years ago

I have a quick fire and it's never gotten that deep pink/red that I've seen in photos. Then again I have it in shade so that may be part of the issue. I may move it to a sunnier place

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    8 years ago

My Quickfire in full sun (though it gets a bit of bright dappled shade in the morning) turns a deep pink, so light might be your issue. Mine is the color of yours by early to mid August, and by mid September looks like this:

• October_Gardens
    8 years ago

Jennifer - if yours came in a Proven Winners pot it might be something like Fire Light, but that's definitely not a QF. Enjoy nonetheless!

• Jennifer Jones
    8 years ago
    Springwood... Thank you so much. I've been trying to figure out what mine is for days, and I think you're right. It must be Fire Light. It's gorgeous. It bloomed weeks before my Little Limes.
  • Marie Tulin
    8 years ago

mislabeled, mispotted hydrangeas are all too common. I found an obviously mislabeling at a nursery and the employee there told me, with some embarassment, that "a label probably fell off in the delivery truck and someone just stuck it in another pot without a label."

• October_Gardens
    8 years ago

Here's my QF as of yesterday morning. Once they get a little more brown (a few more weeks) I will lop off the blooms to prevent issues blooming next year.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    8 years ago

What issues, SWG? I leave the brown blossoms on over winter (mine don't brown until a hard frost so they aren't interfering with the summer appeal of the garden) and sometimes I don't get all the brown heads removed in time. It doesn't seem to cause any issues IME.

• October_Gardens
    8 years ago

Last time I cut the blooms off in Spring I got about 2-5 blooms. Not taking any chances!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH