Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what color bloom does Quick Fire have?

Posted by greenqueen 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 5, 12 at 14:35

I've been researching the Quick Fire but am totally confused on the coloring of the bloom. I realize it's a process of color change, but when I google images some are pink, some burgundy, some really orange red. I'm not a real orange red lover, so trying to get the real facts here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what color bloom does Quick Fire have?

Blooms start out white, begin to develop a pink hue, and then begin to turn progressively darker through the stages you mentioned all the way into the fall.

This is the case with just about all H. paniculatas, as white is the only primary color of bloom, sometimes mixed with green, with shades of red on the aged flowers. However, Quick Fire will bloom and mature faster than just about all other paniculatas, doing so as early as June.

o

QF is an early bloomer and a good choice. The problem with the pictures is that they may be retouched or your monitor or picture software may tweak things automatically so what one gets may not be what one saw in a picture. I have had that problem with pictures of roses too.

o

Mine doesn't seem to have orange in its reds and pinks. I have acid soil, but don't know if there is a subtle change in color due to pH in paniculatas since I haven't grown them in less acid soil.

o

There may be small differences due to weather and soil minerals, etc. I have not seen orange here per se but, there are times when in some small areas of the blooms you can see a slight color tone that is close to an orange but not quite.

Vanilla Strawberry is another example of color differences. It turns a nice magenta given the proper weather but there are some people whose location and weather are not similar enough to the one where VS was developed in France and thus it does not develop a nice magenta color in the Fall for them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here