Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennied0212

Confused about Hydrangeas and Sun needs

jennied0212
18 years ago

Hello,

I inherited two large, successful hydrangea plants from the previous owners of my house. They are in almost full sun, with a little morning shade. I thought I now knew enough to grow hydrangeas.

I went out and bought two more hydrangeas ("Endless Summer", Craven's nursery) to plant near them and they are not doing so well in the heat of the afternoons.

NOW, a little late, I've started researching hydrangea needs and find to my shock that they are not a full sun plant. I am wondering if there is something special about the variety I inherited, (and of course, I don't know the name) which makes it sun-tolerant.

The old plants are quite woody and send new growth off the woody stems. They thrive on neglect, never watered, never fertilized. I've seen plants that look the same in other yards here in Northern VA.

I realize it's asking alot to identify a plant just from this description. But thought I'd throw this out there. Do you think I have a sun tolerant variety or should I expect the new ones to eventually get used to their new home?

Thanks!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!