Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I just bought my first Hydrangea and I need help

Posted by chrisinflorida 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 11, 09 at 14:53

I just bought 4 Pee Gee Hydrangea that are 2 ft, 2 yr. old, bare root. This is my first hydrangea so I have to ask a dumb question. I have bought lots of bare root plants but they had roots. These look like they just dug down to the roots and cut them off. Is that right? I want to get these planted but I want to make sure this is the way they are supposed to look. Thanks for listening Chris
PS the true name of these is Hydrangea paniculata grandiflora Also known as Snowball Bush

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I just bought my first Hydrangea and I need help

I have not bought hydrangeas bare root but I can see why they do that (less shipping costs). Hydrangeas will have some small roots near the surface and maybe this is the case here. However, I really would have expected some visible roots of some size in each specimen. Just where did you buy this anyway? I would call them back to confirm all is well and just so they (and you) have a note that you called... in case the plants do not make it!

Note: I assume they did not send you a specimen of Viburnum also called Snowball Bush.

o
RE: I just bought my first Hydrangea and I need help

H. paniculata should have some white fleshy roots.
If your 2' PGs have 3-4 of such roots and they are at least 6-8" in lenghts plants most likely will be fine. If not...I'd be start looking for return/refund.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here