Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What type of Oakleaf Hydrangea?

Posted by jlarios23 CA (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 12, 14 at 14:59

(Cross-posted to Plant ID Forum)

Can anyone identify this particular oakleaf hydrangea? It's supposed to be a Vaughn's Lillie Quercifolia...bought it as such...but the vast majority of the flowers seem to be the fertile type. The panicles look suspiciously like those of Sikes Dwarf ones that I've seen around the net...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What type of Oakleaf Hydrangea?

Go to your local nursery and take a cutting of one of the flowers , they can properly identify it.

o
RE: What type of Oakleaf Hydrangea?

I'm not at all sure I'd agree with that :-)

Both Vaughn's Lillie and Sikes' Dwarf should be mostly sterile florets - these are unnaturally (IMO) weighted towards the fertile flowers. They look weird........not seen anything quite like it.

I assume these are the first flowers of the season? Perhaps they'll grow out of it.....that sometimes happens. If not, I wouldn't hesitate to return it if it were my plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here