Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small Hydrangeas

Posted by BelleIsleCottage 7a (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 15:04

Are there any small hydrangeas that I could grow in this planter? Or could they be split when they grow too big??

Thanks in advance!

This post was edited by BelleIsleCottage on Wed, May 14, 14 at 21:25

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small Hydrangeas

Hydrangeas don't do good by splitting. But morning sun is great for hydrangeas while two hours may seem bad its quite good but not the normal light exposure duration they like. There are dwarf hydrangeas that only get up about 4 or 5 feet... In addition they don't have very deep roots so you can just replace then in a few years if they're to deep. I should also say that hydrangeas don't have to be in a raised bed... They do fine in basically any soil.

o

Pia is small and might fit the spot. Could be iffy on sun requirements, but worth a try.

o

Try the Cityline hydrangeas. They are relatively new, small, and compact. I grow Cityline "Paris" and it is small and beautiful. It is a deep rosy red, but there are Citylines in all colors, and like most hydrangeas the color can be changed with soil amendment.

o

What great suggestions! I never even thought about just pulling them out once they got too big. And I'm glad to hear 2 hours of morning sun is not that bad. I have read that if grass won't grow where you're planting hydrangeas, they probably won't bloom. I don't know if that's true of not.

I love the way Pia looks and the fact that you don't have to change the soil to make them stay pink. I want them pink.

Thank you for posting about the Cityline Hydrangeas! I have scoured the Internet looking at all sorts of hydrangeas and I never found anything about the Cityline collection. I think they might be perfect! I Love the color of Paris. What a pretty pinkish red.

Thanks so much for all your suggestions. You've really helped me. :)

o

Hydrangea macrophylla "Cityline Hydrangeas" at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google search for Cityline Hydrangeas

o

Thank you, fellow Okie (tulsarose)! I think this CityLine collection of hydrangeas are just beautiful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here