Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
displacedclevelander_gw

Potting a hydrangea: impossible or possible?

Will preface this with a: Googled this a few minutes ago and found a garden forum posting from a few years ago but the question/scenario was a bit different from mine. And also should mention that I don't really know what I am doing :-)

OK-- so I have two large pots (13x16) and would like to put a hydrangea in them. They would receive limited sun. Currently have ferns in them but I don't like having to replant them each year and I like hydrangeas.

Any idea if this is doable? If so, which varieties and suggestions as how to maintain them?

Thank you in advance for your assistance with this!

Comments (6)

• luis_pr
    11 years ago

You normally buy them -say- in a 1 gallon platic pot size that then gets moved to a larger pot, one that is either 1 or 2 gallons bigger only. Check them annually to see if roots are starting to grow in circles and, if they are, prune the roots and repot them to a bigger size, again, a size that is 1-2 gallons larger than the current one.

At some point, when you reach the desired max size then stop going to bigger sizes. A pot that is 20" across is sort of in that neighborhood but I have seen posts of people who have gone larger.

Obviously, choose hydrangeas that do not get large. Macrophyllas and serratas that came from Europe were originally developed for the container market. So look for some that have an estimated size at maturity between 3-5' (whatever you like).

Water drainage is very important; make sure the pots have 2 or more drainage holes. Try not the let the potting mix dry out completely, even during winter. Place a layer of stones at the bottom as well as a mesh to prevent pests from trying to get into the pot from underneath.

Luis

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

Certainly doable. There are lots of compact or dwarf macrophyllas on the market that are perfectly well suited to being grown in a container. Look for any of the Cityline series, 'Pia', most of the Endless Summer series will stay very compact, 'Pistachio'. And there are a good number of dwarf paniculatas as well, although these would prefer a sunnier situation than you describe.

You want a good quality, barky potting soil. Pay attenion to watering and use a liquid fertilizer for acid loving plants - like MirAcid - periodically through the growing season. And you will have to find these containers some sort of winter protection - an unheated garage would be fine.

• madeyna
    11 years ago

Mine stayed in pots for 15 or so years. I put coffee grounds in the pots several times threwout the spring/ summer to help with any soil that might have leached out of the pot over the years. I had better luck with bigger darker green plants when I was throwing in a handful of aged manure but less flowers.

• User
    11 years ago

Posted by madeyna 7/8 (My Page) on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 14:21

Do you keep your pot indoors all year round? Or do you leave the pot outside? Do you get blooms easily in pot?

• jana (z7b, Philadelphia, PA)
    11 years ago

I have a lacecap Tokyo Delight that I've grown in a 16-inch pot for five years. It must have more than 100 flowers on it this year. I can hardly wait for it to bloom! I will root prune it in the fall for the first time. I keep it next to my house in the winter. The key for me is to keep it well watered early in the season well before any of my other potted shrubs and other perennials need additional water.

• User
    11 years ago

Posted by janalee215 6b (My Page) on Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 8:35

Thank you for sharing. Will hydrangea merritt's supreme do well in pot?