Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new hydrangea - Golden Crane

Posted by gardengal48 PNW zone 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 8, 12 at 16:28

I am such a sucker for well-done marketing and for anything Dan Hinkley-related so I bought me a brand new hydrangea of a species I am unfamiliar with. Since I really have no garden to speak of any more, yet another plant to grow on in a container :-)

It is Hydrangea angustipetala 'MonLongShou', aka Golden Crane, a very early (late spring) blooming lacecap type with -- get this -- fragrant flowers!! So far my smallish 2G shrub has a bunch of long narrow leaves but no signs yet of any flower buds. Apparently this type blooms on new wood so the obvious cutting back the nursery plant evidenced should not be a deterrant to any flowering. Looking forward to fragrant white sterile lacecaps surrounding chartreuse-yellow fertile flowers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new hydrangea - Golden Crane

You have no idea how lucky you are to find it. I saw it advertised by Monrovia last year but there were no local nurseries that carried it (or mail order ones). I think the closest one was either in Iowa or Kansas.

No mail order nurseries Monrovia said. They did not produce that many. I think this was a way for Dan to help Monrovia who is financially ailing.

o

yes, Monrovia doesn't do mail order, either directly or via any online nurseries :-) And while they do sell to box stores, it is typically a different selection of plants or a different grade than what is offered by retail garden centers/nurseries.

We were only able to bring in 10 plants at my nursery and I was informed by the buyer that was it! Dan, who happens to be a neighbor of mine, has been marketing some new and usually exotic introductions via Monrovia for several years. No doubt it is a boost to Monrovia as Dan is such a big horticultural draw, but it also a vehicle for Dan to get some great undiscovered plants on the marketplace. Since Burpee's takeover and sudden closing of Dan's Heronswood Nursery, he has had limited opportunity to market his finds.

o

bought one at McDonalds in Newport News-can not wait to see what it does

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here