Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thorngrower

Limelight in too much sun ???

I planted limelight Aug. summer before last, made it thru winter fine, so last summer was its 1st real summer. I have it planted in full sun, I found by the end of July it was dropping allot of leaves, even with some watering. My sister seems to think it just needs to get the roots established more and it will be fine. I'd like to move it to a shadier spot closer to the hose. Should I wait another season or move it, before I kill the poor thing.

Ready to dig..

Comments (7)

• luis_pr
    13 years ago

If it was getting too much sun, the leaves would turn all yellow or whiteish. If it is simply drooping or wilting, it may still have transplant shock or the area may be windy and warm enough where it looses moisture quickly thru the leaves, faster than it can absorb it thru its newly developed roots.

You could put some form of wind break during the worst part of summer to see if it helps. Then evaluate the situation at the end of the Fall.

Do remember that recently planted shrubs may endure transplant shock for one to two years. Most are over the shock in one year but not all. Maintain the soil constantly moist -not wet- with the help of 3-4" of mulch as best as you can.

• echinaceamaniac
    13 years ago

These can take full sun in my zone 7. I'd leave it. They love sun! They're not wimpy like the others.

• thorngrower sw. ont. z5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well its the end of june now and things seem to be going much better for my limelight. We have had cooler temps and tons of rain and it looks very healthy so far this season. I picked a good year to leave it and let it settle in. I'll check back in the end of July. Thnx for the great advice everyone.

• October_Gardens
    12 years ago

Roots can stay bound up for a long time. I don't see a problem unraveling them. Just do it by, say, Halloween (use a hand rake for the roots and reset it in a nice wide hole) and the plant should be well on its way to re-establishing itself for next spring.

• mskayo1
    12 years ago

I have a row of 8 Limelights that are four years old now. I'm south of you and am in the midst of at least the second brutally hot dry summer since I put them in. All of these plants are in full sun with only a couple hours of sort of filtered light in the morning from a couple trees. Basically it's sunny all day where they are. I fertilize them with Osmacote to make sure they're fed well and have strength to withstand the heat. I try to keep them watered, especially when it's hot and dry.

My plants started as one gallon plants and now they're all six feet tall (and some a little taller) so just hang in there--your yearling will take off. Last summer was tough--the leaves will wilt and drop off when it's hot. Just keep watering, especially if the pannicles start to wilt (that's when the plant is really suffering). All the leaves won't fall off and the blooms won't die. Limelights are tougher than other varieties. They can tolerate full sun. We're just having some unseasonably hot weather.

If you're really nervous about the location, make sure there's slightly more sun than shade where you move the plant just to be sure it gets enough sun.

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

You can plant a paniculata in 12 hours of sun in zone 5. Sun is not your issue.

Its likely root bound or getting too much water.

Look at my little limes, this is there first year and they get full blown south and west sun.

{{gwi:240880}}

{{gwi:998522}}

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor