Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant a potted hydrangea?

Posted by oddity 5b (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 10, 10 at 17:17

I received a potted hydrangea for Easter. My MIL got it from a grocery store. Is this a plant that can be put in the ground with any possible hope of success or should I toss it? If planting is an option, should I put it in full sun or part sun? Thanks! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant a potted hydrangea?

Hydrangeas do well in morning sun and afternoon shade. I have mine in my shade garden. I would plant it with fertilizer and water it in.. worth a shot what zone are you in?

o

Hydrangeas sold in bloom now are florist's or greenhouse hydrangeas. They often do not transition well into the garden in colder zones. You can certainly attempt to do so but I wouldn't hold my breath :-) And you will need to wait until after last frost - these are not cold tolerant plants - and then gradually acclimate to the outdoors over a period of time. And it will definitely require winter protection in your zone to survive and hopefully rebloom. A part shade location for sure - morning sun OK.

o

Thanks for the responses. :)

o

i live in south florida and recently received a french hydrangea as a gift it was potted in one of those store containers. I put it in a clay/ceramic pot in a shaded porch - no direct sun but lots of heat and humidity - for a few weeks but it seemed to wilt, flowers and stems were droopy. Now i've brought it inside. will it do better if i take it back outside or how can i make it thrive indoors? any suggestions? THANKS

o

I bought one of these not aware that it was a greenhouse arrangement. I planted it in the ground where it gets water daily by the springler system, gets only morning sun and is shaded by a big tree. It is doing extremely well and the blooms are amazing.
I'm curious to know if you ever planted and if so what is the outcome?

o

Here are a couple of pics of the one that I purchased at the grocery store and planted in the ground. It seems to be thriving.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

I received a greenhouse one probably 5-6 years ago and this is the first season I'm seeing any sort of bloom on it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here