Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Hydrangea

Posted by angelamarak PA (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 16, 09 at 17:38

I received an Annabelle Hydrangea today in a 4 inch pot. The thing is very small. I am going to plant it this weekend, but I have tow questions...

How fast do they grow? Will I see anything this summer?

How long before they are well established? Thanks in advance.

Angie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Hydrangea

The hydrangea you have is a very young one, probably from a cutting with a single stem...I can only tell you what I did to my hydrangeas that are this small...I let them grow in a protected location (away from battering rain, blazing hot sun, gusty winds, or freezing temps) and in a 6 or 8-inch pot for this season...this will give the hydrangea a bit more time to develop its root system w/o a lot of stress...during this growing season, since it is in a pot, you can move the plant around - say if you are expecting a 100 degree hot summer day, put the thing under more shade...if you are expecting a very nasty rainy day, take it indoor..and most importantly, this coming winter, you can take the pot into the unheated garage...bottomline is you need to work hard and care for this young plant...as for blooms, I think you can expect a small single bloom this yr...but from my experience, I pinch off the top flowering buds and let the plant to branch out more and spend more energy to develop the roots...you sacriface one season of blooms and you will get a much much healthier plant next season with a lot of blooms...your little hydrangea is like a 3-month old baby, you have to take give it extra care, and no babies should be left to expose the harsh elements of nature this young...I have a couple of pretty young Incrediballs growing in one-gallon pots now, and intend to keep them in the pots this season and put them into the ground in 2010...give them time, protection, care, always a recipe for success.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here