Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

Propagating Hydranges - Martha Stewart's Results?

In early September 2012, Martha Stewart posted a whole big to-do on her blog about propagating hydrangeas from cuttings (see link below). There were lots of details including 22 photos of how-tos. But there was never any follow-up. It made me wonder because lots of the cuttings don't appear to be done correctly - there is a whole lot of stem and a node floating maybe 1-3 inches above the cut. For example, look at Photo 17 of 22: the rooting hormone isn't anywhere near the node. Photos 2, 3, 4 and 5 also look suspect. I don't think they are cut properly. They all look to me as if they were cut just above the node. I'm wondering if Martha/Ryan really knew what they were doing? Kind of surprising for Martha Stewart, don't you think? Makes me raise an eyebrow, LOL! Hmmmm... What do you think?

At first I thought the reason for no follow-up might be due to Hurricane Sandy - I know her home ("estate"?) was in the area - but there are subsequent pictures showing her intact greenhouse and saying it made it safely through the storm. So I wonder if she had success with any of the hydrangeas? There are lots of comments at the end of the blog asking for follow-ups, but no comments from Martha. And nothing has been posted since in the blog. Did anyone read or hear anything through another "Martha" source?

(By the way, I have read that Martha's sister writes her blog.)

Thanks,
Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Martha Stewart Blog - Propagating Hydrangeas From Cuttings

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 7:13

Comments (4)