Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Time To Move?

Posted by TheFoxesPad 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 18:30

I have 3 Nikko Blue bushes between 7-10yrs old. They used to be in dappled afternoon shade thanks to a huge evergreen tree but the tree had to come down after beginning to collapse under the weight of it's own limbs. Since then, for the past 4yrs the Nikko Blues have been in unrelenting sunlight from sunup to sundown. Each year the leaves and branches look more and more sickly and weak looking despite watering constantly, sometimes 2x/ day depending on how they look come late afternoon. Often the leaves look burned. Do Hydrangea leaves burn like hosta leaves?

I'm thinking that maybe it would benefit them to relocate them to the side of the house where my other Nikko Blues are still flourishing under more shaded and moister conditions.

What do you think? Could moving be the answer for these poor bushes? If so I'd like to do it very soon.

Thank yo so much for your thoughts!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Time To Move?

Sunscorch makes the leaves turn all yellow-ish or white-ish on the leaves in direct contact with the sun. If you see this sign, you could move them or provide shade with a shade cloth until "something" grows that can protect them. Or you can erect a structure that will shade them. Unfortunately, the best time to move was when the shrub was dormant but if you have to mvoe them, you have to move them. Just try to move as much of the root ball as you (and another person) can move together. There should be lots of roots on a 7-10 y/o.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here