Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
waitforspring2

Transplanting hydrangeas

Waitforspring
13 years ago

I have two hydrangeas that need to be moved because they are too big for their current locations. One is an oakleaf and the other is a Nikko Blue. They are both quite large. Is this an impossible task? If not how do I go about it?

Thanks so much for any help.

Comments (9)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

Not impossible at all, although you may need another set of hands or two to make it easy. Do it ASAP - the ideal time would have been while the plants were still fully dormant, but you should have enough time to do so now and get them settled in before hot weather. Make sure the new planting locations are dug and prepared first.

If large plants, try to take as much of the rootball as possible. You won't be able to get it all if the plants are well-established. They'll be heavy so place them on a large tarp after digging and drag them to their new home. And don't prune any topgrowth now. Wait until they are in and settled and see first what kind of transplant shock they might experience, then prune out any growth that looks like it is failing. They need all that topgrowth to support the growth of new roots to replace those that might have been damaged by digging.

• Waitforspring
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much. I've been working on the new location and I haven't pruned anything except the dead wood. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

• ditas
    13 years ago

I dug up a 20y/o Nikko last Fall w/ some strong help ... to my surprise the rootball is really a bunch of individual plants all intertwined ... some even came apart on their own I ended up potting some to give away & kept a large portion intact to her new home. I was told to prune a 3rd off the top & was reassured that there would still be enough buds on the old wood that will need the usual protection from Winter.

I kept a couple of potted ones in the garage & one large pot I sank in the ground ... all are now leafing out & shoots coming from the soil. I understand that it isn't easy to kill an established Hydrangea even w/ several moves as long as they're done w/ care!!!

Good luck on your move!

I'll appreciate a post back on experience w/your Oakleaf ... I have one I need to relocate. TIA

• mehearty
    13 years ago

About how big is the rootball? Does one dig as wide and as deep as the plant is wide and tall? Or can you get away with a smaller dig?

Thanks! =)

• Waitforspring
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I managed to move the Nikko Blue and it lost plenty of roots, but it looks like it's doing well so far. I've decided that I need help before I can even think about the Oakleaf though. It's even bigger and I thought moving the other one just might finish me off. I decided to move some smaller plants out of its way for now.

• ditas
    13 years ago

Congratulations wfs - did you find as I did, that the root ball is a mass of tangled roots of many Nikko plants?

About Oakleaf H as you posted - "I thought moving the other one just might finish me off".

I should move my 4y/o Pee Wee now, huh?!!!

Hi Mehearty - I brought back up my thread on "20y/o Nikko move ..." to update. But in any case I had many good advice & hand-holding. I took Ego's cuttings & Luis' *split-pot layerings* suggestions - did 4 pots, succeeded & shared all those rooted babies away & still had more after digging!Â;) ... Knowing what I know now on Nikko, I wont worry about getting the entire root-ball ... however, rule of thumb I believe, is around drip line ... would mean 5'round on a 20y/o!!! We dug 2'+round & got most.

Hope this helps!

• hydrangeasnohio
    13 years ago

I was going to dig up three 4-5 year old Hydrangeas this fall and pot them. Along with take them into the basement for over winter and is going to become their permanent routine. That is a OK time to transplant also right?

• ditas
    13 years ago

I seem to have very good luck in the Fall ... planting & moving as long as there is enough time for adjusting & establishing in their new homes. But my oh my! ... 3 5y/o Hs to haul to basement ... I hope you have a walk-out!!! I understand, basement must be cold & dark for your beauties to sleep!

Oooops Mehearty, I missed the "tall" in "Does one dig as wide and as deep as the plant is wide and tall?"

I prep'd a hole as deep as a #5 nursery pot & it was plenty ... had to back fill quite a bit!

• hydrangeasnohio
    13 years ago

Hello Ditas, I do have true walkout. My house is cut into a hill. I am potting them and going dolley them in out and every year. They are being replaced with an Invincibelle and 2 knock out roses. Thanks for the reinsurance on transplanting in the fall.

Sponsored
Above Board Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Custom Deck & Outdoor Enclosure Solutions in Loudoun County