Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wendy08_gw

Forever Pink Hydrangea

Wendy08
10 years ago

Hi, I'm a newbie and curious about two hydrangeas I have.

I bought them in 2012 and was told they were Forever Pink Hydrangeas. I wanted something that was going to be smaller and was told they wouldn't be any bigger than 3 to 4 feet. Only one had blooms on it when they were bought and the blooms were a very light pink color.

In 2013 the hydrangea's grew to a 3' by 3' size and the foliage was very nice and healthy. The only problem was that they never bloomed. After researching, I can to the conclusion that the flower buds that would set up on old wood were killed off by the frost/winter. After the 2013 growing season ended I noticed the buds on the ends of the old wood but were hit with an early frost.

I went to another local nursery and spoke with them about this and wanted to replace the plant with one that will bloom on new wood as well. They told me that my hydrangeas will bloom on new wood and to leave them alone.

So now I am confused and not sure what to do. If these indeed only bloom on old wood then I want to move them soon to a better location.

Is there any way to determine what kind of hydrangea I'm dealing with without any blooms to identify? I know it's a big leaf and the blooms that were on it the first year were mophead.

Right now there is new growing coming up from the ground but no new growth on the old wood except where is is just an inch or two near the ground.

Comments (2)