Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Forever Pink Hydrangea

Posted by Wendy08 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 19:23

Hi, I'm a newbie and curious about two hydrangeas I have.

I bought them in 2012 and was told they were Forever Pink Hydrangeas. I wanted something that was going to be smaller and was told they wouldn't be any bigger than 3 to 4 feet. Only one had blooms on it when they were bought and the blooms were a very light pink color.

In 2013 the hydrangea's grew to a 3' by 3' size and the foliage was very nice and healthy. The only problem was that they never bloomed. After researching, I can to the conclusion that the flower buds that would set up on old wood were killed off by the frost/winter. After the 2013 growing season ended I noticed the buds on the ends of the old wood but were hit with an early frost.

I went to another local nursery and spoke with them about this and wanted to replace the plant with one that will bloom on new wood as well. They told me that my hydrangeas will bloom on new wood and to leave them alone.

So now I am confused and not sure what to do. If these indeed only bloom on old wood then I want to move them soon to a better location.

Is there any way to determine what kind of hydrangea I'm dealing with without any blooms to identify? I know it's a big leaf and the blooms that were on it the first year were mophead.

Right now there is new growing coming up from the ground but no new growth on the old wood except where is is just an inch or two near the ground.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Forever Pink Hydrangea

Seems like a hydrangea macrophylla (big leaf hydrangea) the best thing to do is to wait until the summer... If it blooms in new wood than you'll notice it if it doesn't than you will just have green foilage, you should also try and buy another one to see if it blooms on old wood. The only true big leaf hydrangeas that rebloom each year are endless summer hydrangeas but there are a few others that rebloom. It's also possible your hydrangea needs to mature a bit more. Don't worry though

o
RE: Forever Pink Hydrangea

I am interested in this post as I have been admiring a hydrangea that is probably in the same series as yours. The one at JC Ralston Arboretum in Raleigh is just gorgeous and holds its reddish blooms until fall. It is labeled 'forever and ever together'. I have been wondering how it would handle the zone 6 of our mountain cabin. I wonder if winter protection would make a difference and save the buds on the year old canes?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here