Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mainegard3

Oak leaf Hydrengea Queen

mainegard3
12 years ago

I winter protected my new oak leaf hydrengrea with some leaves and chicken wire. Even though temps did reach -5 here in Maine, there is no wind (very well protected with trees),so I thought I'd protect it anyways. When I recently took the mulched leaves off, 3 of the 5 stems had broke off from the snow/leaf pile that was sitting on top of it. With only 2 stems left, should I just leave it and have a two stem bloom or just replace it? Perhps I should have put one of those wooden triangle wood shelters over it? Just don't know!

Comments (3)

• luis_pr
    12 years ago

New stems will develop from the crown eventually. I would leave the two stems there because I like the blooms that they will eventually produce but, if the look is not appealing after blooming, you can prune them completely or just prune off a few inches.

It sounds like the pile of snow was big and heavy; keep it light in future years. Snow is a great insulator but you do not need a ton of it to protect. A few inches should do.

• greyandamy
    12 years ago

Mainegard,
    Don't feel bad. I didn't winter protect (no need in zone 6) HOWEvER the deer did a nice job for me. I lost most of the side stems, eaten down. What last year was large this year looks, eaten. I'm just waiting for time to help mine, it cost too much..

the other dwarf oakleaf the rabbits got to, it's eaten to nubs, now new growth (i.e. 1/2" just starting), UGHH...

• ditas
    12 years ago

A very similar breakage happened to my 1st-season Pee Wee Oakleaf after a Winter of 36" snow through out the 4 months ~ Pee Wee's center cane was split in half but not broken off.
    A member of the Garden Club suggested for me to bind the 2 halves together & wrap some wet-down sphagnum moss held in place w/hose. She also suggested to mix a solution of a cup of sugar & water to water around the drip line. She explained that sugar solution healed plants faster. I worried about inviting ants but lo & behold, Pee Wee healed fast & well ~ numerous bloom buds soon followed on his 2nd season & the 2 halves mended completely even produced more canes & a few more smaller blooms!!!

However the success story ended up a sad tragedy when in a couple of months Ma Nature doled us with seemingly unending weeks of rain followed by blazing hot sunny 2 weeks, creating a steam-cooker situation ~ every plant suffered, poor Pee Wee ended in a boggy site ~ his roots steam-cooked!!!

Snow Queen & Alice oakleaf Hs failed to produce bloons but escaped Pee Wee's fate last season ~ both seem to look promising this season ~ neither were Winter protected.

Good luck to both of your Oakleaves ~ I think that the unintended pruning might make for a stronger & bushier shrub ~ patience will just need to be fortified!!! HAPPY SPRING!