Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
october_gardens

Plants Nouveau Everlasting Hydrangeas

October_Gardens
11 years ago

I'd like all of you to look out for this new series of hydrangea in 2012. I have no idea where they may be sold, and they've given no exact indication except being "gift-to-garden" in nature.

Plants Nouveau is launching their assault on the market, and although far behind more well-known lines, they're offering the Everlasting series, a very unique assortment of upright compact plants with extremely sturdy blooms. The line is made up mostly of reblooming macs, with a couple arborescens and paniculata mixed in. A few of the names have been recycled from Novalis (where Plants Nouveau's current co-owner came from), but many more are 2011+ introductions bred by Kolster BV, Netherlands.

For the most part, the general pattern is blooms of different colors and sizes mix with or end up fading to green. Most of these shrubs don't exceed 4' in height.

The current list is as follows:

Ruby (RJ-BO) - 4x4' raspberry pink changing to lime green / picotee

Amethyst (Hokomathyst)- 3x3' dark pinks/blues aging with lime green edges

Garnet (Kolmgarip) - 3x3' pinks/blues aging with green highlights to bright green with pink edges

Harmony (Hortmahar) - 3x3' cream/pink ages to blue with green edges, then to green

Ocean (Hortmoc) - 3x3' creamy white cupped flowers with pink centers and ruffled petals, ages to darker shades and then green with pink edges

Revolution (Hokomarevo) - 3x3' cupped double-appearing flowers with many colors per head aging to darker shades with green highlights

Coral (Hokomac) - 3x3' coral pink or blue with green highlights ages to dark red with purple edges and then green with white edges

Jade (Hortmaja) - 3x3' mostly lime/white aging to green with red edges

Opal (Xian)- 4x4' lavendar pink to green

Pearl (Napo) - 4x4' clear white to lime green

Emerald (Hulk) - 4x4' white/cream to white with green edges

-------------------------------------------------------

Recycled Names (you can already find these):

Mystical Flame (Bokratorch) paniculata

Color Fantasy macrophylla

Comments (20)

• October_Gardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sorry, but I forgot the link to their webpage. You can also Facebook them, as they have a very nice page there and many more unique plants you might like.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants Nouveau Everlasting Hydrangea Series

• Natsu
    11 years ago

Checked out the website they seem very durable. Revolution seems to be the only repeat bloomer will try to find that one to grow in a pot.

Springwood_Gardens A while back not sure if it was you but, I think you posted something about Trax Farms. The post was about vanilla strawberry I believe...
    If you did make a post about them what were their prices and selection like?
    Names of hydrangea they carried would really help. THANKS

• October_Gardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Trax Farms was great to visit. In addition to their own unique products and antiques area, they have a huge indoor garden supply store and furniture area. Off of that, they have their huge annuals greenhouse, and then at least a few acres of outdoor perennials, trees, and shrubs.

Their spread and selection was the largest I've seen in the Pittsburgh area. Their prices where what you might expect from a nursery, but I've seen far worse. As far as their hydrangea selection, they were very heavy on the latest releases. I can't name them all, but if you go back through the posts here, I believe they carried all of what was new and exciting out there last year. 5-gal VS was $40. They had huge 50' long ES display with your choice of 2-gal Bella Annas at $34 apiece. I also got a 3-gal Great Star for $40 and the F&E Fantasia 1.5gal for $24.

------------------------------------------------------
    If you or anyone wants a 3-gal Little Lime, Plumline Nursery on Logan Ferry Rd. in Plum has them for what has to be a mismarked price of $15.95!
    Let me know if you know of any good places around here. I've been stopping around places east of town, as most places like Trax are a haul for me. My next place to visit is Chapon's off of Streets Run Rd.

• October_Gardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Trax Farms was great to visit. In addition to their own unique products and antiques area, they have a huge indoor garden supply store and furniture area. Off of that, they have their huge annuals greenhouse, and then at least a few acres of outdoor perennials, trees, and shrubs.

Their spread and selection was the largest I've seen in the Pittsburgh area. Their prices where what you might expect from a nursery, but I've seen far worse. As far as their hydrangea selection, they were very heavy on the latest releases. I can't name them all, but if you go back through the posts here, I believe they carried all of what was new and exciting out there last year. 5-gal VS was $40. They had huge 50' long ES display with your choice of 2-gal Bella Annas at $34 apiece. I also got a 3-gal Great Star for $40 and the F&E Fantasia 1.5gal for $24.

If you or anyone wants a 3-gal Little Lime, Plumline Nursery on Logan Ferry Rd. in Plum has them for what has to be a mismarked price of $15.95!
    Let me know if you know of any good places around here. I've been stopping around places east of town, as most places like Trax are a haul for me. My next place to visit is Chapon's off of Streets Run Rd.

• Natsu
    11 years ago

A 3-gal Little Lime for $15.95 I got to get out there to get that deal. Been to Chapon's quite a few times very nice place great staff and plants. They are not huge on hydrangea but they do carry a good bit of new stock. Last year they had Empress Wu Hosta very early in the season.
    Reilly's Garden Center at Summer Seat Farm seems to have a good grip on the new plants this year.
    Summer release (may be in stock now)
    Hydrangea paniculata �Fire and Ice�
    Hydrangea serrata. �Tuff Stuff�
    Hydrangea macrophylla �Snow Storm�
    Plus they will carry a mildew resistant dwarf ninebark from the candy series.Physocarpus opulifolius �Lemon Candy�

Still looking for locally Hydrangea Double Delights Black together (not in the f&e line)

Hydrangea, Expression Double Delights

Hydrangea paniculata baby lace

Hydrangea David Ramsey would also be nice to find.

• October_Gardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Look at Home Depot for David Ramseys. I recall the first week of July as a big clearance on macs there and got a 5gal for $20. It had gone through its first bloom cycle but was loaded again by Aug 1.

• October_Gardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

As far as Double Delights goes (and other Ball Ornamentals products), it appears that Brenckle's Farm & Greenhouse is listed as a supplier, and they have advertised some Ball plants on their site.

I haven't been there yet but you can visit them at either
    3814 Mt. Troy Rd. Pittsburgh, Pa -or-
    543 Evans City Rd. Butler, Pa

If you get there before I do, let me know how it goes!
    www.brenckles.com

• Natsu
    11 years ago

I called out to Reilly's Garden Center here is what they will have new, in stock early may.

Hydrangea paniculata �Fire and Ice� 3 gallon $35.00
    Hydrangea serrata �Tuff Stuff� 3 gallon $35.00
    Hydrangea macrophylla �Snow Storm� 3 gallon $35.00
    Hydrangea macrophylla Peace 3 gallon $35.00
    Hydrangea macrophylla Pistachio 3 gallon $35.00

As a side note Gabriel Brothers is having a gardening supply sale. Century three Gabriel Brothers was loaded with stuff.
    Trowels $0.88
    Glazed ceramic & resin pots quart to five gallon $2 to $30.00
    Patio furniture with ottomans and cushions (three sets resin wicker)
    Pruners small a large, saws, garden decor (tall & short garden hooks, metal butterflies etc.)
    Grass seed small & large bags (watch the dates) regular flower garden seeds.
    Potting soil $1.00 to $2.00
    Shovels, rakes etc. under $7.00
    They have a giant mosaic planter for $300 would easily retail for $700.They have more way too much to list,the planters are worth it.
    YMMV as usual with gabes get it before it's gone.

• October_Gardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I stopped at Brenckles the other day...Of the Ball Hort plants they currently have Expression, Peace, and Red Sensation 3 gals for $30. I facebooked F&E about Pistachio and they should ship to Lowes in less than 2 weeks. I think 3gals there only run $25-30.

Lowes now has David Ramsey 2gals for $15

• Natsu
    11 years ago

Springwood_Gardens thanks I picked up a David Ramsey on Sunday. Very nice ready to flower it seems, four buds in the broccoli stage. Should have flowers on DR by the weekend hopefully.

I will grab Pistachio when they come into Lowes instead of black together. Three gallons at Lowes are normally $25.00 less for the ones that are not trademarked.

• October_Gardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's how mine are growing!

Opal (Xian - the "parent" to many others in the series) - check out the dark purple, flat & cupped flower heads!:

Harmony (Hortmahar) - cream colored fading to pink edges with blue centers:

Revolution (Hokomarevo) - looks just like in the ads!

• October_Gardens
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update: The outside overwinterers Opal and Harmony haven't produced any buds yet but are slowly accumulating stems and foliage.

Meanwhile, here are my 2014 additions and how they look while beginning to bloom:

Amethyst (starting pink and very upright):

Garnet (very dark foliage and reddish blooms - cool!):

Ocean (wrinkled foliage with creamy flowers with pinkish edges):

• livreosa
    9 years ago

Hi! I'm newly registered, and I only have baby hydrangeas without blooms yet, but can I show anyway?

I got two Everlasting Revolution hydrangeas and a Horwack (it was Next Generation brand on the tag, but I've since realized this variety is sold by many different companies under different names) from dogwooderitternet on ebay in late April of this year. They were tiny plants (in 4" pots!), but they had a lot of leaves and have been healthy! And they were inexpensive-- I was okay if it would take a few years for them to reach full size or not bloom till next year.

The Horwack is still only putting out new leaves, but it looks like both of the Revolutions have broccoli forming at the tips of all the branches! I'm shocked and impressed, because these plants are still very small-- definitely no more than a foot tall. I was not expecting any attempts at blooming until next year at the earliest.

Both the revolutions are in full sun. South exposure. I really wanted to have hydrangeas near the front door because they are beautiful all summer. They are growing, so I'm hoping as long as I keep the soil moist they'll be okay. The Horwack was not happy in full sun and the leaves were turning lighter green, so I moved it to the shady side of the front porch and it's put on a lot of new growth since then.

Attached picture is to show exactly how small the plants are (I've since purchased more mulch but haven't put it out yet). The soil was heavily amended for the entire area under the mulch-- it's not clay like the native soil, I added lots of peat moss and perlite, about 1/3 clay mixed in with the good stuff. I amended it wide and deep to help the plants succeed). The other Revolution is about the same height but has two main branches at the same height instead of one.

• livreosa
    9 years ago

And the broccoli! In a few years our yard is gonna be awesome, even though it's a huge work-in-progress right now.
    (It was rainy and dark when I took this picture).

• October_Gardens
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If you're going to keep hydranges that small in full sun, I'd keep a close eye on them. All three might need as much shade as Horwack. At minimum, They might need at least a cup or two of water per day if there is no rain with temps consistently in the 80s-90s (the soil bust be somewhat moist at all times).

The mulch looks fine but might need to bunch it up thicker toward the plant to keep the roots cool. If there is excessive drooping or wilting, you may need to move to a more shaded location until the plant's root system can grow larger. Also, it may benefit from companion groundcover plants or small hostas planted around it to keep the soil cool.

But glad they're going to bloom for ya. The flower size will be small, in proportion to the size of the plant. I wouldn't be surprised if Horwack cranked out a small bloom before the end of the season, too.

Revolution, in my opinion, is *the* top compact hydrangea (less than 3') you can buy as of today. This is a composite rating based on structure, habit, bloomability, colors, hardiness, and uniqueness.

• livreosa
    9 years ago

Thank you for your thoughtful advice, Springwood Gardens! I appreciate it. We do get pretty hot here in the summer, but it's also very humid. I check on the bushes everyday, and they have not been wilting at all so far-- I do make sure to keep their soil moist; one side already has a drip hose around the plant (far enough out to not get the leaves wet), the other I've just been watering when the soil feels dry half an inch down. I've read enough to know that hydrangeas cannot tolerate BOTH full sun and dry soil. The leaves on my particular Revolutions are noticeably smaller than the leaves on the Horwack I have, which might be why they seem much more resistant to wilt than the Horwack.

I will admit if I had done even more research when I started to plant them, I would have placed them in a shadier location for the first 6 months or so... but they have been growing in full sun this whole time, so I'm pretty sure the Revolution can tolerate it (unlike the Horwack). I thought they were more likely to tolerate full sun, too, since I"m in a cooler climate than a lot of hydrangeas will prefer (but, the zone thing doesn't really account for the highs of an area-- we do have highs for most of the summer in upper 80s and lower nineties, with a few spikes or hot weeks over 100 degrees Fahrenheit in August and September. I don't mind babying the little plants, though-- I think as long as I'm conscientious about keeping an eye on the health of the plants from day to day, they should be okay. I'll pot them up and move them out of full sun if I see them struggling.

I didn't think hostas grew well in full sun-- am I wrong? I do have some sedum I could transplant around the little guy, but I'm worried about the root competition. When I moved them from gallon pots into the soil I noticed the roots were pretty shallow still. If that would be better than mulch, though, I'll do it. I will definitely build up the mulch-- I'm planning to mulch everything after work today. It's supposed to rain tomorrow.

I feel like I should probably snip off the buds for the health of the plants this year so they can put their energy into growing roots and leaves, but I also want to see the blooms since I've read so many posts on here of people believing they have one variety, and when it blooms it turns out to be a different variety. What if I leave one bunch of broccoli intact on each plant and nip off the rest of the flower buds? Will that encourage them to grow more?

Sorry if my questions are obvious, these sort of specific information are hard to find on google.

Although I like the Horwack a lot, I am really impressed with the Revolution so far. They've been much more hardy than I expected for hydrangeas. And the compact size is perfect as we have a pretty small lot!

I attached a picture to show the relative leaf size of the Horwack versus the Revolutions-- this is right after I pulled them out of the shipping container from the ebay seller; so this is the size they all started out at in late April. They've definitely grown.

• luis_pr
    5 years ago

Have you checked Burpee?

• Linda C. Smith
    3 years ago

How deep do you plant the hokomarevo these were given to me the blooms were dead I cut the dead ones off. now how deep and how far from a building do I plant do I plant them

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

The top of the rootball should be at an even grade with the surrounding soil or slightly higher.

These can grow to 5-6 feet tall and 5-6 feet wide, so I'd be inclined to plant them at least 3' away from a fence or house.