Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dumb husband "tried to help"

Posted by DumbGardener22 55427 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 20:17

Hi,
I made an attempt to clean up our garden after the long winter here in MN. My wife had a purple hydrangea (around 5 years old) growing in the garden. Well, I didn't realize that that was a plant that shouldn't be trimmed and cut it to the ground. She's mad and I feel awful, but I'm wondering, will it grow back or should I go out, buy a new one and replant it?

Please help! Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dumb husband "tried to help"

You desperately need to practice a hang-dog look and to buy at least one dozen long stem red roses. Cheesecake with whipped cream and fresh blueberries would be a good backup.

o

It should grow back but more than likely will not bloom this year. Buy another one as a bit of insurance and a make up gift.

o

With the winter we had, there is a good chance those flower buds were toast anyway. And if you had the abrupt cold last fall we did, without a chance for the plants to slowly go into winter, that is a double whammy. You have an out...kinda.

tj

o

First of all, I applaud you for helping out in the garden! With that said, I think a replacement bush is in order since I don't believe it'll set blooms for this season. Hydrangeas bloom on previous year's wood. (She'll understand that you really care and are thoughtful with this gesture:-)

o

A blooming 'purple' hydrangea in MN is likely an Endless Summer.

o

Replacement!! :):)...maybe two.

o

I agree with pearlgirl.

o

Sometime ago before my Larry got the zero radius mower,
he'd get toooooooo close to my rose bushes and whenever
a limb got ripped off...he'd quitely stick in back as if it was
going to live. It really was funny, however, too serious not to
have a chat with him. The threat was always a replacement. At least you had good intentions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here